The Student Room Group

Is it really worth it to attend 5-6 pm lectures?

I have 2 5-6 lectures a week and I just cba to go especially now that it gets so dark during this time. The lectures get recorded anyway but last term it was saving a lot of time being in the lecture to listen to everything.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nice_100
I have 2 5-6 lectures a week and I just cba to go especially now that it gets so dark during this time. The lectures get recorded anyway but last term it was saving a lot of time being in the lecture to listen to everything.

Why are the government funding student finance for you then
Original post by Mohammed_80
Why are the government funding student finance for you then

to pay the uni
Original post by aneer3wq3wt
to pay the uni

To pay the uni to do what...?

Yes, it's worth going. Invariably recordings end up getting cut off at a certain point but sometimes important information gets brought up afterwards. Also, being in the specific environment of the lecture physically is likely a much better way to learn, as you are "primed" to learn in that setting, compared to sitting at home and listening to the lectures while playing music, taking breaks, going and chatting to people, browsing the internet etc.
Just go ffs. When you’re in the world of work are you going to use the same excuse? “Sir, it’s dark at 4 pm, can I go home???” Lots of disciplinaries and sackings coming your way…
(edited 3 months ago)
to pay the uni

To pay you to get educated, education came at a cost now it’s funded appreciate that it’s only 2 days a week for 1 hour. Sit in a law lecture and it’d be worse.
Yes, it is worth it.

Hey there @Nice_100 !

Although not ideal, I'd definitely recommend going to those lectures. I know some people who have lectures until 8PM throughout the week and you just kind of have to go along and deal with it really. There's a lot of advantages to face-to-face learning rather than online and there may be key bits you'll miss out on. It's not like it's just one week you're missing them, you're talking about missing them for the whole semester and I think it would be quite beneficial to you to go along and see what's being said.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi there,

I understand your concern, especially if you live further away. However, I'd recommend to still do everything that you can to make it in as otherwise you may miss out.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
It is absolutely worth it. It's you teaching! You have a question? The teacher is right there, you can ask them! Can't do that with a recording.

Hiya!

Definitely not ideal but there isn't anything you can do about it unfortunately - I would recommend going as your lecturer will appreciate your attendance and as already said you will potentially miss out on information, sometimes my lecturer's forgets to record, it may get paused and you will miss elements of the lecture and at the end of the day can we truly rely on technology aha.

Also if you don't attend and your attendance drops, the University will get in contact with you and be asking why.

Hope this helps,
-Maddie, second year Health and well-being in society student at De Montfort University
(edited 3 months ago)

Hi there

It really depends on how you work best. For myself, I find it easier to absorb and understand information when I am in a lecture hall. The atmosphere helps me focus a bit more, rather than listening to the lectures online.

However, if you are able to understand the information by listening to recordings, I think that is fine too. I would recommend keeping track of how long it takes you to finish watching the recordings. Sometimes I end up using twice the time when watching recordings, which can prevent you from doing other work.

Another thing I would add is the lecture attendances. If you University takes the attendances, perhaps it may be better to go to lectures instead.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by artful_lounger
To pay the uni to do what...?

to teach u
to teach u

So, coming full circle - the answer rhetorical question posed by mohammed_80 (why are the government funding student finance for you then) is for the government to pay the uni to teach the OP and hence the implication being, one ought to attend the lectures that are being subsidised by the taxpayer. Even if an abstract concept of a taxpayer isn't of interest, eventually the OP themselves will be a taxpayer (and paying off their own student loans as well) and so it behooves them to attend.

It's not the end of the world if you miss a couple but still try to go. Whats the point of you going to any lecture if you can just watch the recording? Going there will make u focus more
Reply 16
Research shows time and time and time again that students learn best in a room with their peers.
I had a 6 to7 and 7 to 8 in first year man up and go everyone else does.

Hi @Nice_100
Although it is an awkward time of day I would definitely encourage going to the lecture. Lecture recordings will be good to refer back to and be more useful if you are there in person. Also recordings can miss parts and also doesn't always offer the time to ask questions.
Also the experience of being in the class and surrounded by classmates makes the experience more beneficial both as a student and for the lecturer.
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Just go ffs. When you’re in the world of work are you going to use the same excuse? “Sir, it’s dark at 4 pm, can I go home???” Lots of disciplinaries and sackings coming your way…

Totally - when I read some of the post on TSR I do think why the hell do these people want to go to University. Many come across as lazy, not very intelligent nor with any drive/ambition.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending