The Student Room Group

Uni lectures

When do you start going to lectures at uni?

How is lectures like?
Reply 1
You start going after your induction week lol.. and idk in my the lecture room has like 500 people. You can do whatever you want, leave whenever you want. Normally it’s better to just listen then to make notes. And then there is seminars which is smaller class with like 15 people where you will do more detailed Learning.
Original post by Anonymous

How is lectures like?

Hi,

I'm a second-year at Lancaster Uni so I've been to lots of lectures! I had my first lecture on the Monday after Fresher's week but this can vary depending on what course you do because the lectures will be at different times on different days. More often than not, your first lecture will be in the first week after freshers.

Lectures are basically a teacher standing at the front of the room and presenting information for about 50 minutes, although each lecturer has a different style. I find it the best to take notes whilst they talk. I have a small cohort for my subject so there's anywhere between 20-100 people in my lectures generally. I know other people who have almost 300 in their lectures though!
If you have questions, most lecturers will answer throughout the session. Sometimes there will be workshops or seminars after the lecture where there are small class sizes so this is when I generally ask questions. In these sessions the lecturer usually goes through some worked examples or problems and discusses them to help you understand the topic further.

Hope this helps
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

How is lectures like?

Hey there!
This depends completely on your course. Usually, you'll have a welcome week which will take place in freshers week and then the week after the proper teaching will start. The welcome week sessions are just for you to get to know your coursemates. Lectures are pretty much your lecturer talking at you and you can choose whether to take notes or not. They won't go into detail and you can't ask questions. Later in the week you'll have a seminar on that module and that's in a smaller group so that's your time to ask any questions or for any help on things you don't understand. It's a more intimate setting in the sense that your lecturer will usually open discussions rather than talking at you like they would in a lecture.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

How is lectures like?

Hi

I am currently a 3rd Year student at UCLAN. My lectures started after the freshers week of the university. During the first week it was mainly an intro to the course which i was studying and had every course in the Accounting school so there was maybe 200 people in the lecture. After this it was the start of the modules which meant that there was less students in the lecture with say about 80-100 however this would depend on the course and also the university.

Once you have had a lecture for the week you will normally have a seminar which would involve a lot less students usually a maximum of 25 students. This is more where you complete questions and also ask the tutor questions you might be struggling with.

Hope this helps
Emma
Reply 5
Original post by UCLan Student
Hi

I am currently a 3rd Year student at UCLAN. My lectures started after the freshers week of the university. During the first week it was mainly an intro to the course which i was studying and had every course in the Accounting school so there was maybe 200 people in the lecture. After this it was the start of the modules which meant that there was less students in the lecture with say about 80-100 however this would depend on the course and also the university.

Once you have had a lecture for the week you will normally have a seminar which would involve a lot less students usually a maximum of 25 students. This is more where you complete questions and also ask the tutor questions you might be struggling with.

Hope this helps
Emma

Do you do accounting? How many lectures do you have per week? Is your timetable quite busy?
Do you do accounting? How many lectures do you have per week? Is your timetable quite busy?

Hi

Yes i am in my 3rd year of Accounting and finance at UCLAN 😀😀. For my first year i was in between 3-4 days a week however this will vary per university and modules which you might take. I was in from about 9-3 some days but others i was in for just 2 hours it depended on the modules i was sitting.

At UCLAN you have 6 lectures per week and 6 seminars a week. There is 6 modules per year here at UCLAN but will depend on each university.

Best Wishes
Emma
Reply 7
Original post by UCLan Student
Hi

Yes i am in my 3rd year of Accounting and finance at UCLAN 😀😀. For my first year i was in between 3-4 days a week however this will vary per university and modules which you might take. I was in from about 9-3 some days but others i was in for just 2 hours it depended on the modules i was sitting.

At UCLAN you have 6 lectures per week and 6 seminars a week. There is 6 modules per year here at UCLAN but will depend on each university.

Best Wishes
Emma

Sorry this is a bit irrelevant question. But do lectures get less in second and third year? Cause I’m going to uni 4 days per week now. And most of them are 9am lectures loool. Hopefully next year they have mercy on us
Original post by ToGodly
Sorry this is a bit irrelevant question. But do lectures get less in second and third year? Cause I’m going to uni 4 days per week now. And most of them are 9am lectures loool. Hopefully next year they have mercy on us

Depends on how many modules but I would say a similar amount but definitely not more.

Most universities also record lectures if you can’t be bothered to attend in-person or because you have a long gap between lectures during the day.
Reply 9
Original post by Driving_Mad
Depends on how many modules but I would say a similar amount but definitely not more.

Most universities also record lectures if you can’t be bothered to attend in-person or because you have a long gap between lectures during the day.

If you just watch the recorded lecture, does this affect your attendance? Like is there anything negative of not going to the lecture and watching the recording instead?
Original post by ToGodly

Hi ToGodly

Sadly the lectures do not get less in the 2nd and 3rd year. I still have 6 lectures and 6 seminars per week and most of mine also start at 9am. You are likely to be in 3-4 days still due to the amount of lectures which there is in a week.

Many thanks
Emma
Anon,

At my university, you have to swipe your student ID card as you enter the lecture or seminar room. This is how they track attendance.

Recorded lectures are normally a a great resource if students commute and there's been a train strike or delay, as they can access the material later. They can also be useful if you are unwell, as it makes it easier to catch up but they are not a substitute for being there!

I had Covid and missed an important lecture/seminar in the second term and even though it was recorded, you really had to be there to get the most out it. The lecturer had brought items in for students to look at and evaluate and there were lots of explanations done on a board which was not visible in the recording : (

Rather than missing lecture, I would suggest using recorded lectures for revision as you are able to stop the recording, make notes, or go over a particular area that you might be unclear on. By attending lectures, you can ask questions in-person rather than having to send an email later. They are helpful to attend as you can get to know the people in your year.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

How is lectures like?

Hi, I am a photography student in my 3rd year. We started our lecturers are our induction lecture, we have an induction lecture at the start of every term / year, in which we are updated on our modules on the semester so we are prepared ( in terms of time and materials) for said modules. In terms of our lectures as my course is an arts course, the lectures can vary. We often have a mix between feedback lectures, lectures on artists we could research for our research files, research led lecturers wherein we study the history of photography and key pivotal art movements, lecturers wherein we have guest photographers who speak about how we can progress into careers after university etc. We also have more creative workshop lecturers wherein we have sessions in our studios to learn photographic methods like lighting for fashion shoots etc. Our lecturers have a smaller cohort with only 30 - 35 students per cohort ( can be smaller depending). We are encouraged to take down notes in any format we require and often have access to the presentation often.

I hope this has helped your queries.
Jade - 3rd Year Ba Photography Student and University of Sunderland Ambassador.
If you just watch the recorded lecture, does this affect your attendance? Like is there anything negative of not going to the lecture and watching the recording instead?

To answer your question, it depends if attendance is recorded or not. It may not be. Other negatives are sometimes the audio isn’t great so it can be hard to hear what is being said.

Positives are that you don’t need to waste time travelling and can watch it whenever you want to. You can also pause, rewind and rewatch things straight away which you wouldn’t be able to do otherwise.
Hello, lectures happen the first week following Freshers. Depending on your course this can be in a large lecture hall or in a smaller classroom environment. I enjoy lectures in our lecture room in Peterborough as the tables are set up so you can make notes and work with peers and there is audio-visual around the room so you do not have to face the from. I find this helps me to enjoy and make the most of the lectures. I take in a laptop to make notes and have a pen and paper also but it's whatever you prefer. Our university allows you to have access to the PowerPoint prior to the lecture and this can be good to view and look up the subject so you can get the most out of the learning you need to achieve.
I hope this helps good luck

ARU Dee
Student Digital Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending