The Student Room Group

HELP! Should I retake year 12?

Hi guys.

Context:I've hated year 12 right from September - but hear me out. I hate the subjects I'm taking. I'm doing sociology, geography and English literature. I wanted very badly to do Spanish, but my sixth form didn't run it in 2022-2023 and won't next year either. I'm also taking EPQ but our teacher hasn't been in for months and I've got no idea what I'm doing at all.

I hate geography so much. We've got through 4 teachers this year, and they lost our mock grades so I don't even know what grade I'm working at, but I know I'm not going to get a C. I'm working at an A* in sociology and a D/C in English. And I just found out that no one cares about EPQ.

I've had my sociology teacher since year 8, and I love the way he teaches. It just makes sense for me, so I do well at every subject he's ever taught me - when he taught me GCSE geography I was getting 9s and it was my favourite subject, but in my GCSE I got a 6 because he had to leave our class a few months early to cover history. I now absolutely DESPISE geography.

I know now that I can't do Spanish AGAIN next year because they're not running it again, but I'm thinking of re-taking the year so that I can get away from geography, because at the moment, I'm not even gonna pass. I can't bring myself to revise it, because when I've tried, I get so frustrated that I actually start crying. And emailing teachers never helps because they just cite the textbook, which is the part that I needed help understanding in the first place.

History at the sixth form is being taught by my sociology teacher. I'm wondering if that would give me an actual chance for a good grade if I resat and did socio, eng and history?

I don't know - do you guys think it's worth it?

(Also should I drop EPQ? My sociology teacher has been helping me with it since my EPQ teacher hasn't been here for approximately eight centuries)
Universities really do care about EPQ. A lot of Unis will reduce your offer if you get an A in the EPQ for example 3 of my offers did (Bath, Exeter, and Southampton) and both of my other 2 took it into account when making my offer. Its really beneficial and I wouldn't drop it if I were u
Original post by CrashOfWorlds
Hi guys.

Context:I've hated year 12 right from September - but hear me out. I hate the subjects I'm taking. I'm doing sociology, geography and English literature. I wanted very badly to do Spanish, but my sixth form didn't run it in 2022-2023 and won't next year either. I'm also taking EPQ but our teacher hasn't been in for months and I've got no idea what I'm doing at all.

I hate geography so much. We've got through 4 teachers this year, and they lost our mock grades so I don't even know what grade I'm working at, but I know I'm not going to get a C. I'm working at an A* in sociology and a D/C in English. And I just found out that no one cares about EPQ.

I've had my sociology teacher since year 8, and I love the way he teaches. It just makes sense for me, so I do well at every subject he's ever taught me - when he taught me GCSE geography I was getting 9s and it was my favourite subject, but in my GCSE I got a 6 because he had to leave our class a few months early to cover history. I now absolutely DESPISE geography.

I know now that I can't do Spanish AGAIN next year because they're not running it again, but I'm thinking of re-taking the year so that I can get away from geography, because at the moment, I'm not even gonna pass. I can't bring myself to revise it, because when I've tried, I get so frustrated that I actually start crying. And emailing teachers never helps because they just cite the textbook, which is the part that I needed help understanding in the first place.

History at the sixth form is being taught by my sociology teacher. I'm wondering if that would give me an actual chance for a good grade if I resat and did socio, eng and history?

I don't know - do you guys think it's worth it?

(Also should I drop EPQ? My sociology teacher has been helping me with it since my EPQ teacher hasn't been here for approximately eight centuries)

Quick Reply

Latest