The Student Room Group

Retaking year 12?

Do medical schools not accept your application if you've retaken year 12 (with the same subjects) as I got a low grade in chemistry and I'm wondering if it's worth starting over at a new college? I am just finishing year 12 now and obviously my predicted grades are not high enough and I was speaking to a few people and telling them that I think I want to move 6th forms and retake year 12 but will this affect my application for medicine?
Reply 1
Ultimately, this is down to the admissions of the institute your are applying to, while some won't mind you retaking your A-Levels, some may ask for extenuating circumstance. However, my best answer would be for you to reach out to the admissions team.

There are a few things I think you should action/consider:

Contact individual medical schools: Reach out to the admissions offices of the medical schools you're interested in and ask about their policies for students who have retaken A-Levels or year 12. They'll be able to provide the most accurate and up-to-date information.

Consider all your options: Retaking year 12 isn't the only path forward. You might want to consider summer retake programs or you could move into year 13 and then take a gap year if necessary to improve your grades. Speak with your teachers and career guidance counsellor to explore all your potential options.

Reflect on what went wrong: If you didn't perform as well as you hoped in your exams, try to figure out why. Did you not understand the material? Did you struggle with exam stress? Understanding what went wrong can help you make a plan for improvement.

Think about your overall application: Medical schools look at more than just your academic grades. They also consider your UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) or Biomedical Admissions Test (BMAT) scores, your personal statement, your work experience, and your performance at interview. Improving in these areas could also help strengthen your application.

It is important to remember OP, that there is more than one path to getting in the medical profession, resilience and persistence will play in your favour.

Quick Reply

Latest