The Student Room Group

Gcse History paper

Is it hard to get an A* in history , because I barely get past a C no matter how hard I study.
Which year are you in?
Reply 2
Original post by Light of Truth
Which year are you in?

Year 11, to little time left to improve ?
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Arisss
Year 11, to little time left to improve ?

When is your exam, and what's your examboard?
Also, yes, you are quite short on time, but I'm sure you can make a significant stride in progress depending on your effort and the quality of your revision. At this time it would be difficult to cover the entirety of your History specification considering how content heavy the subject is. However, you can skim through it, write down your weakest areas, and from there create your own questions which you can plan out. Also, learn how to your structure your answers perfectly because it makes life much more easier, and it's a clear indication to your examiner that you know your stuff.

Good luck!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Light of Truth
When is your exam, and what's your examboard?
Also, yes, you are quite short on time, but I'm sure you can make a significant stride in progress depending on your effort and the quality of your revision. At this time it would be difficult to cover the entirety of your History specification considering how content heavy the subject is. However, you can skim through it, write down your weakest areas, and from there create your own questions which you can plan out. Also, learn how to your structure your answers perfectly because it makes life much more easier, and it's a clear indication to your examiner that you know your stuff.

Good luck!

Im giving my exam this feb/march , thanks a lot !!
Oh, so you have a lot of time. Yeah, then I'm sure you can get your grade 9.

What's your examboard for History?
Original post by Arisss
Is it hard to get an A* in history , because I barely get past a C no matter how hard I study.

Yes you can if you maybe tweak your revision methods a bit.
Here are some of my tips for history:
- Make sure you know the facts and key events 150%! If you find an essay question difficult in the exam, your backup is to pull out lots of facts related to the time period/event and try and link it back to the question
- Practice essays and you can either get someone else to mark it for you or mark it using an online mark scheme
- Look at model answers! This can be using a past paper and examiner reports or if you find a model essay online, and see what they're doing different to you and what things they include/don't include and see if you can find any sort of improvement.
- Use the specification, it entirely depends on your exam board, but most specifications highlight exactly what you need to know or mention in the exam, so look at the specification as a guide or a checklist
- Don't stress out or burn yourself out! History is a difficult subject, but I'm sure that soon you will get the hang of it with enough practice

Keep pushing through and good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by Arisss

Heya!
Getting an A* in history can be challenging, as it requires a deep understanding of the subject matter, strong analytical skills, and effective exam techniques. It's important to not only focus on memorising facts but also on developing your ability to critically analyse and evaluate historical sources and arguments. Seek guidance from your teacher, practice past papers, and consider seeking additional support if needed to improve your performance! If it helps, Study Mind has lots of free resources that can help you out!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest