The Student Room Group

Worried that I won't get my predicted A level grades

I feel like my ability is completely ruined in exams, I end up barely sleeping the night before an exam and make so many mistakes.
Nobody takes me seriously about this in real life because I've been consistently getting A/A* in my subjects, they think I'll get the best grades anyway. I don't like talking about it because it just makes others feel worse and I'm sure they think I'm spouting bs to make them feel better.

I was really hoping to get an A* in maths, paper 1 was relatively nice but I was so nervous I couldn't think straight for a lot of it and I know I did so much worse than I should have. Most people found it easy, and now I feel like my chances are down the drain and grade boundaries will skyrocket. I can do past papers at home by myself quite easily but the real exams just ruin me entirely, especially for maths I don't know what it is about that subject. Whenever we do group maths work I do so much worse as well, which means I'm pretty much useless in any real world scenario. I also constantly feel like I must be studying but I am not doing much any more though I know it is the only way I can fix this.

I need 3 As for my uni choice and getting into it is the only way I can see myself having a chance of ever being happy. Idk what I'm gonna do. I will end up letting everyone down because literally everyone (including my teachers) thinks I will just easily do great. I don't expect to get anything out of posting this I just want to put it out there and not be immediately told everything will be fine because someone thinks I'm good at everything when I'm not.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I feel like my ability is completely ruined in exams, I end up barely sleeping the night before an exam and make so many mistakes.
Nobody takes me seriously about this in real life because I've been consistently getting A/A* in my subjects, they think I'll get the best grades anyway. I don't like talking about it because it just makes others feel worse and I'm sure they think I'm spouting bs to make them feel better.

I was really hoping to get an A* in maths, paper 1 was relatively nice but I was so nervous I couldn't think straight for a lot of it and I know I did so much worse than I should have. Most people found it easy, and now I feel like my chances are down the drain and grade boundaries will skyrocket. I can do past papers at home by myself quite easily but the real exams just ruin me entirely, especially for maths I don't know what it is about that subject. Whenever we do group maths work I do so much worse as well, which means I'm pretty much useless in any real world scenario. I also constantly feel like I must be studying but I am not doing much any more though I know it is the only way I can fix this.

I need 3 As for my uni choice and getting into it is the only way I can see myself having a chance of ever being happy. Idk what I'm gonna do. I will end up letting everyone down because literally everyone (including my teachers) thinks I will just easily do great. I don't expect to get anything out of posting this I just want to put it out there and not be immediately told everything will be fine because someone thinks I'm good at everything when I'm not.

Don't worry I have the same problem too. I wouldn't say I get As but pretty close and many of my friends when I tell them I might have done badly they immediately tell me that I still get those top grades. it isn't even better with the constant pressure to do well from my parents not to mention that if I don't at least get a grade 7 in maths, English, and science I won't be able to go to my dream college and do the course I want.
I think you need to get used to sitting in the hall or wherever u do ur exams it might be the stress of doing the actual test that makes u feel you've done badly. you could always ask for them to allow u to take the exams in a separate room.
just remember at the end of the day even if u do badly on the exams you still have your A's and A* so colleges will still take that into consideration
and abt sleep I do the same thing I'm not getting enough sleep either just make sure u still have enough energy for u to sit the exams and don't overwork yourself too much otherwise that will affect your grades negatively as u won't be able to think in the exams and may accidentally fall asleep.
basically, it's fine to skip a couple of days' sleep but make sure u catch up on them and don't overwork yourself
only a couple more days to go
you can do it
and then ur done with it

(sorry if this sounds like I'm disregarding ur feelings or anything like that)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

If you worked hard for them then that's what matters. You can get into other unis too and they might be similar or the same. There's loads of other options. Just work hard and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest