The Student Room Group

do you feel this way?

correct me if i am wrong but does everyone have extreme negative emotions tied to exams and uni? i know its stressful and its natural to worry but i am exhausted, tired from the exams and my negative thoughts, it is not the end of the world if you do not go to uni right|? pls tell me my life wont just slip right under me, idk, i feel like one mistake in an exam paper and thats it i am unemployed and homeless because i didnt get the grades for uni, stupid thinking but its just how i feel.
Reply 1
Sorry to hear your feeling this way. Before I go into why, please rest assured (as much as an internet stranger can be assuring haha) that it'll be fine no matter what.
Firstly: yep it's perfectly normal to feel very stressed in exam season. Some get it worse than others, and if you feel really bad it might be worth speaking to someone about it, such as a friend, teacher or family member? They might be able to give you some advice.

Secondly, it is absolutely easy to think that not getting the grades/going to uni is the end of the world - this isn't helped by the generally spread idea that you need all these grades to do anything. There are so many ways you can get into the world of work, without high grades, such as apprenticeships (generally requiring Cs I think) or clearing (in which you phone up unis after results day to see if they have any spaces) or just getting straight into it with a junior-level job and building your way up. You can also always resit your exams during a gap year, or just take a gap year but do other things that help you to get a job. Not getting the grades is faced by many students every year, but it's never the end of the world, as there are so many ways around it. It's worth noting too that, it's easy to think you've done badly after an exam, but actually still done well.

I find that it's really worth taking a moment, if you ever feel like you're failing, to think about all these possibilities. In several years time, anyway, exams won't even be considered on your CV - it'll be experience, which you can get without the grades. University, too, isn't required for half the jobs you see, despite them listing a degree wanted. It's perfectly possible to get into most jobs or apprenticeships without these grades. I realise at the moment this is kind of loose reassurance, but hopefully it helps you in some way? I just think it's really important to accept that, in the end, your grades are only a stepping stone, but in the great waterway of life there are many routes and stepping stones to the same place. Sorry for that odd analogy haha. I do really hope this helps however, obviously feel free to message with any specific concerns you might have or if you're just feeling bogged down by it all. Best of luck with wherever you go :biggrin:
Reply 2
thank you so so much, i feel better :smile:i suffer with ocd so its easy to slip into negative thinking, i do see a therapist though but i just feel so strongly about my education, thanks for your advice and taking the time to write that paragraph thank you
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by treematrie
thank you so so much, i feel better :smile:i suffer with ocd so its easy to slip into negative thinking, i do see a therapist though but i just feel so strongly about my education, thanks for your advice and taking the time to write that paragraph thank you

That's great, it's absolutely no problem :smile:. It's so easy to slip into the negative side of things, glad you've got someone to talk to, too. Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest