The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Tips For Staying Cool in the Heat

With temperatures in London set to reach close to 30°C this weekend, it's going to be warm - and although it might seem like a great time to get outside and soak up the sun, it's important to stay safe and avoid overheating. To help, I've compiled a few key tips on how students can manage the heat - but if you have any of your own, feel free to drop them down below! :biggrin:

Try And Avoid the Sun Between 11-3pm.
The sun (and therefore temperatures!) usually peaks around midday, and falls as it gets closer and closer to night. If you're planning to go and kick a ball out with some friends or go on a run, consider doing it earlier in the morning or later in the evening - it'll still be warm, but you're less likely to dehydrate or get too much sun during these off-peak periods.

Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen!
Trust me - I'm sick of hearing this one too, but it's far better than having your skin burnt to a crisp! :wink: If you're like me and are a student not wanting to spend too much, both Lidl and Aldi sell relatively cheap sun sprays and sun lotions for around £3-5; personally, I recommend a sun spray as it's easier to apply on the go and quick to top-up on throughout the day.

Find Shade
Whether that's sitting in your house with the windows and curtains closed or finding a big tree to hide under in your local park, make sure you have some options for shady areas you can retreat into if it gets too warm. The sun is great, but try not to stay in it for too long at once.

Drink Water
Apart from keeping you cool, water also helps your body function when it struggles in the heat. It doesn't necessarily have to be water - diluted squash or milk can also be effective! - but try to avoid any beverages that contain caffeine or alcohol, as these can make you feel more thirsty rather than quenching it.

Know The Symptoms of Heat Stroke
Confusion, lack of coordination, fast breathing and heartbeat, hot skin and seizures - these are all symptoms of heat stroke, which occurs when your body is no longer able to cool down and remains at a dangerously high temperature. If you or any of your friends show these symptoms and you believe them to have heatstroke, call 999 and then attempt to cool them down as much as possible by removing any jackets or socks, applying cold water to their skin and moving them to a shaded area.

- Eve (Kingston Rep.)
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
thanks
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending