The Student Room Group

Help filling in any gaps in my 2024 Dentistry application?

Hi, I'm planning to apply to dentistry for entry in 2024, and don't really have many people who know a lot about the application etc.
I performed relatively poorly in my GCSE's in comparison to other applicants, I got 998876654.
In regard to A-Level predicted grades im on track to get all A*'s.
My work experience is kind of varied, with a total of three 9-5 work weeks at various dental practices, a residential medicine internship at a hospital for a week, I also participate in MAP: General Strand, Social Mobility Foundation: Medicine Strand, and Realising Opportunities.
I'm doing an EPQ in relation to dentistry.
Participating the Science in Medicine School Teams Prize 2023.
Destination Dentistry Summer School - UOL 4 day residential.

I also have a 2 week hybrid research placement, investigating the sequence properties of untranslated regions in human genes, which include the use of python and various other skills.

For volunteering I have been helping out at a blind centre since July 2022. I have also helped at a retirement home which i started on 19th april and will be ending on the 7th of june, which was organised with college.

I'm not sure if what I've done is overkill, enough or too little, and how I fare against other applicants?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by hmkh026
Hi, I'm planning to apply to dentistry for entry in 2024, and don't really have many people who know a lot about the application etc.
I performed relatively poorly in my GCSE's in comparison to other applicants, I got 998876654.
My work experience is kind of varied, with a total of three 9-5 work weeks at various dental practices, a residential medicine internship at a hospital for a week, I also participate in MAP: General Strand, Social Mobility Foundation: Medicine Strand, and Realising Opportunities.

I also have a 2 week hybrid research placement, investigating the sequence properties of untranslated regions in human genes, which include the use of python and various other skills.

For volunteering I have been helping out at a blind centre since July 2022. I have also helped at a retirement home which i started on 19th april and will be ending on the 7th of june, which was organised with college.

I'm not sure if what I've done is overkill, enough or too little, and how I fare against other applicants?

I feel like you've done enough. Your GCSEs are fine too as long as your science, english and maths grades are 6 and above. Just try drafting personal statements and apply strategically by researching unis and finding out what they place an emphasis on and match it with your strengths. Now just smash the ucat and get the grades.
Reply 2
Original post by hmkh026

You need to link these in a PS - it's not just a list of what you've done.
Original post by hmkh026

everything seems okay just remember to apply to your strengths for example don't apply to universities that put a huge emphasis on GCSE's for example cardiff, perhaps even the universities that look at the application holistically like kings
Reply 4
Original post by hmkh026

Hi i’m applying to dentistry for 2024 entry too, I’m also on the MAP programme, but for the dentistry strand. also, why didn’t you apply for the dentistry strand instead of the general?

Quick Reply

Latest