The Student Room Group

I know I have failed my Latin GCSE,can I still go to medical school?

Before I entered my Latin GCSE exam,something bad happened to me (I won’t say for personal reasons) due to this,I was so distressed that I barely opened the paper and so the maximum mark I can get is 2/100 which is a grade U .because of this,even if I get 100% on the next two Latin papers,the maximum grade is only get a grade 3.I am predicted grade 8-9 in ALL my other GCSEs but I am every worried this will affect my ability to get accepted into medical school in the future as Latin will most likely be a grade 2.please can someone help me out?
Reply 1
Original post by Ahsidodiqn
Before I entered my Latin GCSE exam,something bad happened to me (I won’t say for personal reasons) due to this,I was so distressed that I barely opened the paper and so the maximum mark I can get is 2/100 which is a grade U .because of this,even if I get 100% on the next two Latin papers,the maximum grade is only get a grade 3.I am predicted grade 8-9 in ALL my other GCSEs but I am every worried this will affect my ability to get accepted into medical school in the future as Latin will most likely be a grade 2.please can someone help me out?

Latin GCSE is not needed for Medicine - did you speak to your school about what happened? They might be able to ask for special consideration if its an accepted reason.

Plenty of Medicine degrees don;t care too much about GCSEs and certainly not one weak grade.
Reply 2

definately talk to your school about special considerations as it seems like you would be eligible for this.

but either way, i wouldn't worry at all because latin isn't relevent for medicine anyways. if your gcses for all your other subjects are 8s and 9s you really dont need to worry :smile:

sounds like ur on track for med school, so good luck!! and don't let this exam get you down/affect your others :smile: (easier said than done ofc lol)

hope this helps!!
Reply 3
Original post by m11m
definately talk to your school about special considerations as it seems like you would be eligible for this.

but either way, i wouldn't worry at all because latin isn't relevent for medicine anyways. if your gcses for all your other subjects are 8s and 9s you really dont need to worry :smile:

sounds like ur on track for med school, so good luck!! and don't let this exam get you down/affect your others :smile: (easier said than done ofc lol)

hope this helps!!

Thank you so much!
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Latin GCSE is not needed for Medicine - did you speak to your school about what happened? They might be able to ask for special consideration if its an accepted reason.

Plenty of Medicine degrees don;t care too much about GCSEs and certainly not one weak grade.

Thank you for the response
Reply 5

Heya!
Latin GCSE isn't needed in medicine so you should be fine (but do talk to your teachers about the special consideration!). If it helps, you can check out different entry requirements using this tool (linked).

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest