The Student Room Group

Help with A Level choices?

Hi, so I’m going into y12 next year and I’ve got to make my choices for A Levels soon but I’m really struggling with what to pick. I really want to do Latin, English and Spanish and probably one other subject but I’m not sure doing 3 language based subjects is a good idea, especially considering that I’m not sure what I want to do when I’m older (except that the goal is Oxbridge) and so I feel like this would just be limiting my options. I do really love these subjects however, so I’m not sure what to do.
Also, my parents have been trying to force me to do Maths and Economics because they think that without them I won’t be able to get a stable and high paying job. And while I completely understand that it’s probably a good idea to do them to keep my options open, I really hate Maths and I’m not interested in Econ. I’ve been trying to tell them this but they’re being insistent and getting mad when I disagree with them so I’m not sure how to convince them otherwise because I doubt their views will change.
There’s a subjects fair at my school pretty soon so I’m definitely thinking of going to that and I’m also thinking of speaking to my school’s careers and university advisor, but I have to make initial choices pretty soon so if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by n!vee
Hi, so I’m going into y12 next year and I’ve got to make my choices for A Levels soon but I’m really struggling with what to pick. I really want to do Latin, English and Spanish and probably one other subject but I’m not sure doing 3 language based subjects is a good idea, especially considering that I’m not sure what I want to do when I’m older (except that the goal is Oxbridge) and so I feel like this would just be limiting my options. I do really love these subjects however, so I’m not sure what to do.
Also, my parents have been trying to force me to do Maths and Economics because they think that without them I won’t be able to get a stable and high paying job. And while I completely understand that it’s probably a good idea to do them to keep my options open, I really hate Maths and I’m not interested in Econ. I’ve been trying to tell them this but they’re being insistent and getting mad when I disagree with them so I’m not sure how to convince them otherwise because I doubt their views will change.
There’s a subjects fair at my school pretty soon so I’m definitely thinking of going to that and I’m also thinking of speaking to my school’s careers and university advisor, but I have to make initial choices pretty soon so if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated :smile:

I can see where your parents are coming from with maths, it opens many doors future wise but it cannot be forced onto people who don’t enjoy it

I don’t know what career path you want to go into, but I don’t think Latin is needed for anything. Unless you enjoy it, I wouldn’t take it

If I was you, considering you enjoy humanities, I would keep English, and choose between

-economics
-Spanish
-history/ geography
-politics

Economics is probably your best bet, I am currently studying it and find it really interesting, but if not then one of the other 4 would probably be your best bets

Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by skvsyu
I can see where your parents are coming from with maths, it opens many doors future wise but it cannot be forced onto people who don’t enjoy it

I don’t know what career path you want to go into, but I don’t think Latin is needed for anything. Unless you enjoy it, I wouldn’t take it

If I was you, considering you enjoy humanities, I would keep English, and choose between

-economics
-Spanish
-history/ geography
-politics

Economics is probably your best bet, I am currently studying it and find it really interesting, but if not then one of the other 4 would probably be your best bets

Good luck

Thanks for the advice! I’ll take a closer look into Economics and see what I think
i really dont think you should pick your a levels based on what your parents think, i can kinda see where they are coming from but it is ultimately your choice since you are the person who will be doing them and picking a levels you dont like will just suck for you and your grades (my friend picked maths cause her parents told her to and she ended up dropping it because she hated it so much and it was too hard for her because she did not like it)

looking at your potential subject choices it seems like your kind of into linguistics, just guessing here. i understand you dont really have a future job in mind but i really do recommend looking at jobs that seem interesting to you, again assuming youre into linguistics, you could possibly look into being a translator or research analysts for like older historic pieces (idk im spitballing here cause i dont actually know), and just work backwards from there, see what course can get you there and what a levels they require or prefer

i also know it can be daunting to work backwards since theres a possibility that you might change your aspirational job once you get to year 13 and start uni applications but i believe that it really cant be that different to the job you aimed for before. theres a really really low chance that you’ll end up wanting a job in a completely opposite direction so even if you want to pursue a different profession, your a levels should still be somewhat relevant, especially with transferable skills and that (hope that makes sense lol, ask to me reword if u dont quite get it, i tend to waffle a bit)
Reply 4
Original post by biggaymer420
i really dont think you should pick your a levels based on what your parents think, i can kinda see where they are coming from but it is ultimately your choice since you are the person who will be doing them and picking a levels you dont like will just suck for you and your grades (my friend picked maths cause her parents told her to and she ended up dropping it because she hated it so much and it was too hard for her because she did not like it)

looking at your potential subject choices it seems like your kind of into linguistics, just guessing here. i understand you dont really have a future job in mind but i really do recommend looking at jobs that seem interesting to you, again assuming youre into linguistics, you could possibly look into being a translator or research analysts for like older historic pieces (idk im spitballing here cause i dont actually know), and just work backwards from there, see what course can get you there and what a levels they require or prefer

i also know it can be daunting to work backwards since theres a possibility that you might change your aspirational job once you get to year 13 and start uni applications but i believe that it really cant be that different to the job you aimed for before. theres a really really low chance that you’ll end up wanting a job in a completely opposite direction so even if you want to pursue a different profession, your a levels should still be somewhat relevant, especially with transferable skills and that (hope that makes sense lol, ask to me reword if u dont quite get it, i tend to waffle a bit)

thanks so much this really helps 🙂 and yep totally guessed right about the linguistics haha. i used to really want to get into something history related but icl the gcse really put me off it so yeah lately i've been more focused on languages as they’ve always been my strength
Original post by n!vee
thanks so much this really helps 🙂 and yep totally guessed right about the linguistics haha. i used to really want to get into something history related but icl the gcse really put me off it so yeah lately i've been more focused on languages as they’ve always been my strength

glad to have been able to give you some peace of mind, though not sure how much you can get from some strangers advice lol

honestly you’re probably better off not doing history a level unless you’re really committed cause it’s a time consuming subject, coming from someone who is currently doing it who didnt do it for gcse, it was a major jumpscare

also, languages are so cool and i really respect people who have a passion for them and learning new ones so i say carry on with your journey of learning languages or learning about them. i do think taking all language subjects could limit you and there is nothing wrong with that but you might want to keep your options open if youre not 100% sure on what you want to do.

also if youre worried about uni courses, you could take a course with a language which, 1st lots of degrees have a good amount transferable skills so you dont have to worry about going into a job that directly relates to your course and 2nd employers love people who can speak multiple languages (as far as im aware anyway lol). my friend (not maths friend) absolutely adores history but she also really likes language so she decided to apply for russian and history at uni which could be something for you to look into. she is also not set on what she wants to do but some of her potentials are either going into archiving (which knowing more than 1 language could be useful for) or she’s also looking into being a professor which would include her getting a phd and just doing a bunch of her own research. i know you probably wont do history (i dont recommend) but there are multiple pathways you can choose and if all fails, lots of courses have foundation years so you dont have to stress over it too much, just enough to make sure youre content with where you are

omg this is so long, sorry about that
Reply 6
Original post by biggaymer420
glad to have been able to give you some peace of mind, though not sure how much you can get from some strangers advice lol

honestly you’re probably better off not doing history a level unless you’re really committed cause it’s a time consuming subject, coming from someone who is currently doing it who didnt do it for gcse, it was a major jumpscare

also, languages are so cool and i really respect people who have a passion for them and learning new ones so i say carry on with your journey of learning languages or learning about them. i do think taking all language subjects could limit you and there is nothing wrong with that but you might want to keep your options open if youre not 100% sure on what you want to do.

also if youre worried about uni courses, you could take a course with a language which, 1st lots of degrees have a good amount transferable skills so you dont have to worry about going into a job that directly relates to your course and 2nd employers love people who can speak multiple languages (as far as im aware anyway lol). my friend (not maths friend) absolutely adores history but she also really likes language so she decided to apply for russian and history at uni which could be something for you to look into. she is also not set on what she wants to do but some of her potentials are either going into archiving (which knowing more than 1 language could be useful for) or she’s also looking into being a professor which would include her getting a phd and just doing a bunch of her own research. i know you probably wont do history (i dont recommend) but there are multiple pathways you can choose and if all fails, lots of courses have foundation years so you dont have to stress over it too much, just enough to make sure youre content with where you are

omg this is so long, sorry about that

ahh wow i can imagine going straight into a level history must’ve been a bit of a shock (probably an understatement lol).

yeah limiting myself is definitely one thing i’m worried about but i was thinking maybe i could add politics to the mix to avoid just doing languages coz it seems pretty interesting but i’ll definitely need to look into that a little more.

actually yeah that makes sense for uni courses, i know quite a few unis do a language course combined with something else so that’s definitely something i could look into. i am also thinking about classics at uni because i’m really into latin (weird i know) and i know that has a lot of transferable skills but just not sure where it would take me so i’m not sure about that yet.

also to be honest doing a phd and becoming of professor or even just becoming a teacher is probably something i’d enjoy and possibly something i’d end up looking into so if all else fails at least i’ll have that option open.

don’t worry about the length haha i really appreciate you taking the time to reply!

Quick Reply

Latest