The Student Room Group

College entry criteria

I wish to attain a qualification in accounting. My grades fit the entry criteria, however, the only exception is English Language where most schools said I needed to attain a 4 to be able to do their course (I am 99.99% certain I have failed this subject). These schools seem dead set on their entry requirements. Can I negotiate to be let in if I get a 2? If I have to persuade them what should I say?
Original post by ameliaaaaaaaaaaa
I wish to attain a qualification in accounting. My grades fit the entry criteria, however, the only exception is English Language where most schools said I needed to attain a 4 to be able to do their course (I am 99.99% certain I have failed this subject). These schools seem dead set on their entry requirements. Can I negotiate to be let in if I get a 2? If I have to persuade them what should I say?

Given that you write very well, what makes you think you have failed English Language?

And what do you mean by "college"?
Original post by ageshallnot
Given that you write very well, what makes you think you have failed English Language?

And what do you mean by "college"?

Thank you for that. I experience writers block often so I can never put pen to paper. It's like really bad too. I wrote less than the expected amount of paragraphs for each question on paper one, and I didn't get to start Q5 which is a 40 marker. On paper two I wrote less due to writers block happening there as well, although I did attempt Q5. You need just above 80 marks to pass Lang, so under the assumption that I got roughly 15 marks on P1 and probably less than 40 marks on P2 totalling to 55 marks, I am very sure I have failed the subject.

Also, college is the type of school I am applying to? I'm not sure what you mean by that.
Thank you for that. I experience writers block often so I can never put pen to paper. It's like really bad too. I wrote less than the expected amount of paragraphs for each question on paper one, and I didn't get to start Q5 which is a 40 marker. On paper two I wrote less due to writers block happening there as well, although I did attempt Q5. You need just above 80 marks to pass Lang, so under the assumption that I got roughly 15 marks on P1 and probably less than 40 marks on P2 totalling to 55 marks, I am very sure I have failed the subject.

Also, college is the type of school I am applying to? I'm not sure what you mean by that.

That is certainly unfortunate.

College can often mean university. It will be up to individual colleges whether they accept you, but even if you scrape a pass you should consider resitting to boost any university application.
Original post by ageshallnot
That is certainly unfortunate.

College can often mean university. It will be up to individual colleges whether they accept you, but even if you scrape a pass you should consider resitting to boost any university application.

Sorry, I meant after completing secondary school you can attend college ages 16-18 and do your BTECs or T-Levels. I have the grades for everything else apart from English Language - I completely flunked that exam. I just want to know if I can bypass their English Lang criteria even if I miss the pass mark by a mile.
Sorry, I meant after completing secondary school you can attend college ages 16-18 and do your BTECs or T-Levels. I have the grades for everything else apart from English Language - I completely flunked that exam. I just want to know if I can bypass their English Lang criteria even if I miss the pass mark by a mile.

Colleges may allow you to resit English alongside your btec or A levels. Many jobs/universities wont accept you without GCSE level English grade 4.

You will need to resit it. Given your problem I would suggest discussing this to see whether you can have a scribe writing for you or using a computer to type instead of writing.

Different schools will have different policies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending