The Student Room Group

Design technology gcse nea

For those who have finished doing their GCSE would anyone mind sending their NEA as an example? And is their any tips to getting a grade 9?
Reply 1
Original post by Mei.
For those who have finished doing their GCSE would anyone mind sending their NEA as an example? And is their any tips to getting a grade 9?

Can't find my GCSE NEA but I did achieve a grade 9 on it, plus 97/100 for my A-level NEA. My advice for hitting the top marks would be to constantly (and I mean constantly, like every page) refer back to your design specification, along with your client's requirements. Even if it's just a brief sentence here and there on each page, mentioning your design spec is key for getting into the top band. On pages in section A (i.e. prior to creating your spec) refer back to your task analysis instead. Another piece of advice would be to never neglect your conclusions. Every page should have a conclusion (unless it's a double page spread with one focus, in which case you would write one conclusion at the end). The quality of these conclusions matter: each should summarise the page into 3 or 4 key points that you learned from it, along with a statement as to how these points will influence the following pages you write. This shows structured working, and helps to link the project together. Creating a time plan for the project using a gantt chart also helps with this point. A final piece of advice I'd give would be to religiously follow the marking rubrics (found on the exam board's website), as these are the exact wordings that your teacher will follow in order to mark your NEA. Hitting every point on these puts you in a very good position, and also makes the marking job easier for the teacher! Best of luck mate.
Reply 2
Original post by JSharpB
Can't find my GCSE NEA but I did achieve a grade 9 on it, plus 97/100 for my A-level NEA. My advice for hitting the top marks would be to constantly (and I mean constantly, like every page) refer back to your design specification, along with your client's requirements. Even if it's just a brief sentence here and there on each page, mentioning your design spec is key for getting into the top band. On pages in section A (i.e. prior to creating your spec) refer back to your task analysis instead. Another piece of advice would be to never neglect your conclusions. Every page should have a conclusion (unless it's a double page spread with one focus, in which case you would write one conclusion at the end). The quality of these conclusions matter: each should summarise the page into 3 or 4 key points that you learned from it, along with a statement as to how these points will influence the following pages you write. This shows structured working, and helps to link the project together. Creating a time plan for the project using a gantt chart also helps with this point. A final piece of advice I'd give would be to religiously follow the marking rubrics (found on the exam board's website), as these are the exact wordings that your teacher will follow in order to mark your NEA. Hitting every point on these puts you in a very good position, and also makes the marking job easier for the teacher! Best of luck mate.

Thank you, I really appreciate the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest