The Student Room Group

Eating disorder

Hi so I've been struggling with an eating disorder for a few months now and I've been to see a GP about it and I got turned away as they said I was just body concious. This really affected my mood and my lack of not wanting to eat got worse. I tend to only have one small meal a day, whenever I eat more than that I want to make myself throw up but I'm scared of being sick which then really puts me at on a low point because all I can think about is all the food I've eaten which is horrible to go through. I was just wondering if anyone else has been through similar and where I could find support?
Hi - don't worry its going to be okay - I had a friend who went through the exact same thing and know how to deal with it
Reply 2
How?
Reply 3
Hey, sorry to hear about your experience with your GP, really disappointing to see that.

Is the reason you're going through this the idea that you feel yourself feeling extremely guilty for eating food, feeling that you'll become too fat or not conform to society's expectations about body shape? It would help if you elaborated
Reply 4
I'm comfortable with how I look but I feel as tho if I eat I will ruin it and the only way I can improve myself further and progress to the body I want is to not eat. I used to be chubby as a kid and got bullied heavily for it. I now can only eat with people I know and feel comfortable eating around. I find restaurants difficult but not impossible, I just tend to rush my food when in public spaces because I feel watched by people on other tables around me. The past 3 months I love 2 ½ stone quite rapidly which I was happy with but others were concerned. I don't really care about how I look to others as long as I feel comfortable with myself which majority of the time I do
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I'm comfortable with how I look but I feel as tho if I eat I will ruin it and the only way I can improve myself further and progress to the body I want is to not eat. I used to be chubby as a kid and got bullied heavily for it. I now can only eat with people I know and feel comfortable eating around. I find restaurants difficult but not impossible, I just tend to rush my food when in public spaces because I feel watched by people on other tables around me. The past 3 months I love 2 ½ stone quite rapidly which I was happy with but others were concerned. I don't really care about how I look to others as long as I feel comfortable with myself which majority of the time I do

There's a couple things you should probably consider:
First off, no matter how you feel, I guarantee people on other tables in restaurants aren't taking time and effort out of their day to observe your eating habits when they have their own food to focus on, so as a result I'd say don't worry about people in restaurants as a result. Just go in, eat your food, and try to enjoy it.

Second, if you feel as though if you eat and you will ruin how you look now a great way to offset this is by doing exercise. I personally don't have an eating disorder, but running is a great way to offset calories gained from eating. The NHS has a great app called Couch to 5K which you might have heard of, but it's great and has fast results.

Third, start having more meals in a day. If you feel as though this might be too much for you, I'd recommend trying low-calorie foods, e.g. salads and fruit as snacks. Just make sure you never go to sleep hungry. Trust me, skipping meals is extremely harmful in the long run and extremely difficult to get out of, so deal with it now before it gets anymore serious.

I hope I've been of any help at all, and feel absolutely free to reach out if you need any more help.
Reply 6
That helps a little yeah so thank you. I already do quite a few 5k runs anyways so I'll just continue with them. I'm considering restarting my gym membership too which may help. i have the great support from my friend group that I'm surrounded with at uni which is massively helpful!
Reply 7
That helps a little yeah so thank you. I already do quite a few 5k runs anyways so I'll just continue with them. I'm considering restarting my gym membership too which may help. i have the great support from my friend group that I'm surrounded with at uni which is massively helpful!

That's really great! It's really good that you have a solid support network that you can rely on. If you can, try and just do a few press-ups and a plank before you start the day, and slowly increase the number as you do as time goes on. That way I feel more energised and happy to take on the day, while not worrying that I'm not doing enough to maintain fitness. Renewing your gym membership's a great idea, but just make sure to go a maximum of 5 times a week, as otherwise you may just suffer and not feel motivated to exercise again.
How?

so basically the key is to fix the whole thing you need to start with mentality and ask yourself btw u don't have to post this - why did this happen and was it because of a stressful/ new situation you were in that gave u anxiety and tht developed into further issues such as the nausea? - once you come to terms with this than second step is to and i know this will sound hard to do but think positive about your situation no matter how bad it is - the key to this is to 1) accept it 'yh this happened to me but i ain't gonna let this affect me' - stick with this thought and don't let it go 2) find something in this time tht distracts u even for an hr perhaps streaming movies or gaming 3) and tha using what u find u enjoy and perhaps slowly starting to eat whilst gaming etc. btw if u find tht u can't eat tht much straight away its fine eat as much as u can than slowly over week gradually build and be open minded if ur mind thinks ur going to be sick it okay accept it - ignore it if and u find u can't do this doing skl if u go to skl ur best chance to implement this is during the summer hols once you do this than message me to see how it goes good luck :smile: u got this i believe in you it may take take time but keep persevering k! need motivation than message me - toodles :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest