The Student Room Group

Variances built into A level grade boundaries

Looking at past results (for OCR A level for example) I can see that each year approximately 20% of Maths candidates are awarded an A* but only 6% of History candidates.

So it seems this must be a conscious decision to allocate grades in different proportions by subject.

Knowing this might influence choice of A level - if you are much more likely to get a high grade in one subject.

Does anyone know what the justification for this is?
Original post by Kitsilano1865
Looking at past results (for OCR A level for example) I can see that each year approximately 20% of Maths candidates are awarded an A* but only 6% of History candidates.

So it seems this must be a conscious decision to allocate grades in different proportions by subject.

Knowing this might influence choice of A level - if you are much more likely to get a high grade in one subject.

I don’t have the answer, but this seems consistent with what I heard recently - that grades are harder to come by on alevel History than some others.
Original post by Kitsilano1865

Iirc it’s that the talent pool for maths is huge, so they don’t want to leave thousands of mathematical talents unrewarded.

Imo, this logic probably should be applied to other subjects too.

Quick Reply

Latest