The Student Room Group

why do i keep doing this in exams

im not sure if this is the right place but my past few exams have been awful and each one keeps making me feel worse and worse. i do stem subjects and i've been having these moments where i come across a hard question. ok, that's expected, ill come back to it later. next question i suddenly lose the ability to read and have to keep reading it multiple times just to get it in my head. by that time my mind has gone completely blank because of the stress from not being able to answer the last few questions. skip again. and again. it's honestly a mess.

by the end i've basically given up and just staring at the clock waiting until i can go. thoughts keep running through my mind like i HAVE to make this one count, and i don't, instead leave the exam hall trying not to cry and not engage with anyone else because i know they did far better than me.
Reply 1
i dont know if it helps but if you underline important info as you read the question? maybe it'll stick in ur head? also i know it sounds cliche but like do deep breaths they do calm you down.
Original post by Anonymous
im not sure if this is the right place but my past few exams have been awful and each one keeps making me feel worse and worse. i do stem subjects and i've been having these moments where i come across a hard question. ok, that's expected, ill come back to it later. next question i suddenly lose the ability to read and have to keep reading it multiple times just to get it in my head. by that time my mind has gone completely blank because of the stress from not being able to answer the last few questions. skip again. and again. it's honestly a mess.

by the end i've basically given up and just staring at the clock waiting until i can go. thoughts keep running through my mind like i HAVE to make this one count, and i don't, instead leave the exam hall trying not to cry and not engage with anyone else because i know they did far better than me.

It might help to remember that when you come across a hard question, most people are going to be finding it hard as well so there’s no need to panic.
Worry not. I know the feeling well. Your situation is completely relatable to many others. Have you thought about getting a study group to help you work under exam conditions? This may help you get used to the stress so you don't blank out.
This may sound cliche but a bit of meditation for 5 - 10 minutes daily could teach your mind to focus better. There are plenty of guided meditation videos on youtube and if you own a phone, there is a terrific meditation app called Medito. It's simple to use, clear and free!!
If you need any specific advise just let me know. I'm starting a blog on this platform called Weekly Wins and Woes about teen mental health. Scour the mental health section and creativity corner for a few of my earlier posts. (the ones in the creativity corner are anonymous but under the same blog name)
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest