The Student Room Group

Unstable home life and university

Just posting this to see if there are any people out there in the same position. Im currently doing my A levels - which are high pressure enough. But I need to get out of my home. I am so jealous of those just getting into uni for fun, or doing gap years while im getting out not only because I love my subject but because my family home isnt very safe for me. Its disfunctional and unhealthy. 4 months ago, I was widowed. I feel so angry knowing im on the same playing board for uni places as those who come from healthy families and havent experienced recent loss. The pressure is all a bit much.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Just posting this to see if there are any people out there in the same position. Im currently doing my A levels - which are high pressure enough. But I need to get out of my home. I am so jealous of those just getting into uni for fun, or doing gap years while im getting out not only because I love my subject but because my family home isnt very safe for me. Its disfunctional and unhealthy. 4 months ago, I was widowed. I feel so angry knowing im on the same playing board for uni places as those who come from healthy families and havent experienced recent loss. The pressure is all a bit much.

yeah I get u, like before my RS a-level my parents were freaking me out and like its honestly such an unfair disadvantage.
Reply 2
Doing A-levels and already widowed... Wow. Sorry to hear.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
yeah I get u, like before my RS a-level my parents were freaking me out and like its honestly such an unfair disadvantage.

Yeah. I think exam boards should be much more accommodating to mental health problems and exams. Even something they dont see as an emergency (for example my college cared a lot less about my exam life than me being widowed) can make such a difference. I worked my ass off for two years and it could all be ruined because of events in 4 months. Really wish a levels were 50% exams and 50% continuous evaluation because I know some hard working people who dont cope with exams and some very low effort rude students who ace exams.

Quick Reply

Latest