The Student Room Group

Exams and understanding them

I don’t know if anyone else has this but like in the exam I will make extremely silly mistake that are worth big marks or sometimes I won’t understand the wording of the question but when I come out the exam I get it like I don’t know what it is but I put such silly answers as well and like they sometimes hints in the answers but my mind just ignores them like I revise but find it hard understand? It’s hard to explain.
Original post by suzy23
I don’t know if anyone else has this but like in the exam I will make extremely silly mistake that are worth big marks or sometimes I won’t understand the wording of the question but when I come out the exam I get it like I don’t know what it is but I put such silly answers as well and like they sometimes hints in the answers but my mind just ignores them like I revise but find it hard understand? It’s hard to explain.

It happens to most people, I know I have done it and I think most people who have taken exams will have done exactly that, so I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially as those exams are now in the past.
Original post by suzy23

Hi,
That used to happen to me a lot, especially in Maths and Science. I found a few things helpful to stop making as many silly mistakes:
1) I often find reading through the exam first before answering any questions is very helpful. Sometimes by looking at a question and coming back to it, suddenly you'll understand it because you've had longer to think about it.
2) I found taking a highlighter into the exam helpful. It can help to highlight the key information in the question and this usually helps reduce mistakes.
3) If you have any questions you aren't sure are correct, one thing I do is turn over the corners of the pages to remind myself to come back and reattempt at the end.

I hope this helps you :smile:

-Penelope (Lancaster University Mathematics and Statistics Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest