The Student Room Group

worrying abt my maths exam..

i have my first maths exam tmrw, and i find maths diffcult e.g worded questions or questions that have more marks and i struggle to understand how to work out the answer
Original post by hurtinguser
i have my first maths exam tmrw, and i find maths diffcult e.g worded questions or questions that have more marks and i struggle to understand how to work out the answer

Hi @hurtinguser,

I remember feeling the same about math’s when I did my GCSEs a few years ago.

In the exam tomorrow, remember to read each question carefully and take a moment to fully understand what the question is asking, especially the wordy ones.

Even when a question can look really complicated, sometimes they only need the simplest of math’s to solve, so try and stay calm and make sure you read the questions.

I always found it helpful to read a question and then cross out in pencil the bits I didn’t need so that the question became much simpler than it originally looked.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Emily
Student Ambassador at Birmingham City University
Original post by hurtinguser

Hi! Don't sweat it too much, as long as you go in that exam hall feeling you've done all you can, you should feel confident!
Here are my tips:
1) Go through your maths spec/topic lists (all of them) and mark the topics you are weak in - be careful not to mark too many topics, because you don't want to overwhelm yourself
2) Do practice papers on these topics (I recommend mathsgenie and corbett maths and PMT), you could also watch videos on these topics if you have time (cognito and gcse maths tutor are great!)
3) Know your equations/formulas. If you stumble upon a question you don't understand, then see if you can apply a formula to it (look at the key words - for example if it's pythagoras theorum, you would be able to tell because 2 sides of the triangle are given and you need to find the missing side).
You have limited time, so use it wisely!
Just push yourself through these few weeks and I'm sure you'll do great! Good luck with your exams!

Quick Reply

Latest