The Student Room Group

GCSE Mathematics November Mock Help

Hi all,

So basically my November mocks are coming up and I need some general advice about GCSE Maths. In my year 10 mocks, I got a grade 4+ (a high grade 4) and for my November mocks I am aiming for a 5+/6-, so that my teachers can predict me a 7 so that I can do A Level Mathematics. I am in set 2 in Maths, and I am reasonably good at it and do score one of the highest marks in my set. So in order to secure that high grade 5/ low grade 6, what should I do and how do I generally revise for Maths?

Thank you.
Hiya!

As someone who could never score above 5s at maths GCSE, I eventually found a method that worked for me and ended up achieving a grade 8, from consistently achieving 5s just a few months prior to the exams -so it can definitely be done!

1) I SWEAR BY MATHS GENIE! His videos are short and completely to the point (unlike Hegarty Maths...) and he provides exam style questions in booklet form for each sub topic (with mark schemes!) I think I ended up completing all his practice questions in the end and the good thing is, if you're stuck on a question, you have the videos (and a CGP guide if you have one) to look back at. I also would take very short notes from the videos along with trying the practice questions he'd have in his videos which you can 'pause and have a go at.'

2) MR TOMPKINS ED TECH! Mr Tompkins Edtech is an account on Youtube who I found pretty late on in my revision and I'm completely certain that without him, I wouldn't have got the grade I did. He talks through past papers with you (specific to your exam board), question by question. He's an absolute life safer if when you've done a past paper and still don't get a question even after looking at the mark scheme, you then have someone to walk it through with you. He's also very active on his YouTube so if ever you have a question, you can pop it in the comments and he'll reply quickly.

3) CGP GUIDE! All you really need is the revision guide for your exam board (save your money and forget about the rest of the books). I can't tell you how helpful it is so definitely get it if you can. I would go through the CGP guide and work out topics I didn't really know, flag them up and then watch the videos on Maths Genie and do the practice questions on them.

4) PAST PAPERS! You've probably heard this a lot but it's so true. Maths is a difficult subject to revise for as it's not just a case of learning content. It's all about application. You can never do enough past papers- if you run out, do them again! And use Mr Tompkins once you've marked them for the Qs you didn't quite get.

5) QUIZLET FOR EQUATIONS. Pop any equations you see crop up throughout your revision onto a Quizlet (a website for creating online flashcards.) Over time your equation list will naturally build up and you can just begin to learn them little and often as your exams approach.

Overall I'd say, try not to over complicate your revision for maths by using loads of websites etc. as everyone has different techniques and approaches which can just make it very confusing. Practice really does make perfect with Maths and it's just about sticking at it. Be consistent with doing ESQs from Maths Genie/ past papers (a few every couple days if you can on topics you're unsure of) and always check against the mark scheme afterwards.

I hope this helps! You'll absolutely smash it as you clearly have the mindset to want to do well. I wish you the best of luck :smile:
Walkthroughs of past exam papers on youtube are so, so, so helpful, I cannot emphasise it enough! Try doing the paper beforehand, mark it and then watch the video and look at questions that you weren't sure of or didn't get right. Make a list of said questions and then do practice questions on those.
Original post by shivom.j01
Hi all,

So basically my November mocks are coming up and I need some general advice about GCSE Maths. In my year 10 mocks, I got a grade 4+ (a high grade 4) and for my November mocks I am aiming for a 5+/6-, so that my teachers can predict me a 7 so that I can do A Level Mathematics. I am in set 2 in Maths, and I am reasonably good at it and do score one of the highest marks in my set. So in order to secure that high grade 5/ low grade 6, what should I do and how do I generally revise for Maths?

Thank you.

Try these resources: https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports
Reply 4
Original post by carolinehowick
Hiya!

As someone who could never score above 5s at maths GCSE, I eventually found a method that worked for me and ended up achieving a grade 8, from consistently achieving 5s just a few months prior to the exams -so it can definitely be done!

1) I SWEAR BY MATHS GENIE! His videos are short and completely to the point (unlike Hegarty Maths...) and he provides exam style questions in booklet form for each sub topic (with mark schemes!) I think I ended up completing all his practice questions in the end and the good thing is, if you're stuck on a question, you have the videos (and a CGP guide if you have one) to look back at. I also would take very short notes from the videos along with trying the practice questions he'd have in his videos which you can 'pause and have a go at.'

2) MR TOMPKINS ED TECH! Mr Tompkins Edtech is an account on Youtube who I found pretty late on in my revision and I'm completely certain that without him, I wouldn't have got the grade I did. He talks through past papers with you (specific to your exam board), question by question. He's an absolute life safer if when you've done a past paper and still don't get a question even after looking at the mark scheme, you then have someone to walk it through with you. He's also very active on his YouTube so if ever you have a question, you can pop it in the comments and he'll reply quickly.

3) CGP GUIDE! All you really need is the revision guide for your exam board (save your money and forget about the rest of the books). I can't tell you how helpful it is so definitely get it if you can. I would go through the CGP guide and work out topics I didn't really know, flag them up and then watch the videos on Maths Genie and do the practice questions on them.

4) PAST PAPERS! You've probably heard this a lot but it's so true. Maths is a difficult subject to revise for as it's not just a case of learning content. It's all about application. You can never do enough past papers- if you run out, do them again! And use Mr Tompkins once you've marked them for the Qs you didn't quite get.

5) QUIZLET FOR EQUATIONS. Pop any equations you see crop up throughout your revision onto a Quizlet (a website for creating online flashcards.) Over time your equation list will naturally build up and you can just begin to learn them little and often as your exams approach.

Overall I'd say, try not to over complicate your revision for maths by using loads of websites etc. as everyone has different techniques and approaches which can just make it very confusing. Practice really does make perfect with Maths and it's just about sticking at it. Be consistent with doing ESQs from Maths Genie/ past papers (a few every couple days if you can on topics you're unsure of) and always check against the mark scheme afterwards.

I hope this helps! You'll absolutely smash it as you clearly have the mindset to want to do well. I wish you the best of luck :smile:

Thank you so so much for this brilliant piece of advice. I agree MathsGenie is an amazing website😆😆
Reply 5
Original post by _kvymnnn
Walkthroughs of past exam papers on youtube are so, so, so helpful, I cannot emphasise it enough! Try doing the paper beforehand, mark it and then watch the video and look at questions that you weren't sure of or didn't get right. Make a list of said questions and then do practice questions on those.

Yess this sounds rlly helpful tysmm

Thank youu
Reply 6
Original post by carolinehowick
Hiya!

Hey! I was just looking through my account and encountered this. I’m so sorry for the late update but I ended up getting an 8 in GCSE maths :smile:) and I do A Level maths in year 13 and I’m predicted an A!! Thank you so much for your help

Quick Reply

Latest