The Student Room Group

Maths struggles

Some tips on how to understand longer/complex worded maths questions
(gcse - edexcel). Maths i'm quite decent but when it comes to understanding what they what me to do I lose marks there because of that.
-Yr10
usually, when i see a long worded maths question, i try to visualise what each part of the question is stating, maybe you can write down each bit of information the question gives you, then you can try look at what the question is asking you to find, and try link together the information its given you and figure out a method to solve it
Do you have some examples as to what type of questions? (probably_sane's reply is also really good)
Original post by Trickia
(gcse - edexcel). Maths i'm quite decent but when it comes to understanding what they what me to do I lose marks there because of that.
-Yr10

I suggest using gcse maths tutor, they go through so many question types for different grades, topics etc. It's great!
Maths genie is also really good, they have exam-styled questions by topic, PMT and MME revise are good for that too.

Here are my tips:
1) First identify your weaknesses (in your case, it might be understanding the question)
2) Then try to change your approach to answering questions. Instead of reading the question as a whole, split it into parts and read it part by part
3) Focus on the key info and terms, like is the question asking you to explain? In that case you need to show reasoning. Is the question asking you to work something out? In that case you may need to use equations/formulas.
4) Start by doing it step by step, it might help to actually write down every piece of working out you do, so you can see it visually.
5) Use the mark scheme! The mark schemes usually give you each point of working out step by step, so if you got that question wrong, write down each step neatly, so you have it like that
It might feel irritating to think you understand one question in a topic, but you can't understand another question even if it's part of the same topic - it doesn't mean you have a lack of understanding, it just means you need to attempt differently-worded questions to just expand your understanding. (Maths is like that lol)
I hope that helps and good luck!
Original post by Trickia
-Yr10

Use Edplace, they have lots of good maths resources.
Reply 5
Thank you all for the advice, much appreciated xx
Some websites I have used but they don't seem to have the ones that confuse me e.g maths genie
So I will try Edplace
Thank you all again
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by squidrangle
Do you have some examples as to what type of questions? (probably_sane's reply is also really good)

Well I don't have any on the top of my head but ig those 4+ mark questions that require lots of steps and use complex wording which makes my mind go blank😭
I find it harder to understand questions that aren't explicit compared to those that are.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Trickia
Well I don't have any on the top of my head but ig those 4+ mark questions that require lots of steIps and use complex wording which makes my mind go blank😭
I find it harder to understand questions that aren't explicit compared to those that are.

I definitely get having problems with questions not being clear enough. Normally wordier questions link to wordy topics because of this.

are you thinking of things like circle theorems, proofs, speed/velocity graphs,

or more like
Capture Recapture (bob puts a sticker on 12 fish, then chucks them back in a lake),
probability and combined probability (there are 120 boys in a class, and 12 do maths. find the probability bob finds a girl that does english)
Product rule (there are 12 starters, 6 mains, and 12 desserts)?
These ones are normally 2 or 3 marks, very wordy, but secretly easy enough when you know what to look for.

I have different advice depending on if you struggle with the first type or the second type, so let me know
Reply 8
1. Probability ig I can do it but it takes further if its a long winded question
2. Circle theorems
3. Product rule (I haven't learnt that yet but assuming you put it on the list I would like you to explain😭)

I struggle more with 2 if that helps capture and recapture are easy in my opinion
Reply 9
Original post by Trickia
Well I don't have any on the top of my head but ig those 4+ mark questions that require lots of steps and use complex wording which makes my mind go blank😭

Read the quesstion twice - underline key words - answer (a) without worrying how you will do {b) ...

MathsMAdeEasy is worth a look :https://mmerevise.co.uk/gcse-maths-revision/
Reply 10
Will give it a go thank you xx
Reply 11
Original post by Trickia
Thank you all for the advice, much appreciated xx
Some websites I have used but they don't seem to have the ones that confuse me e.g maths genie
So I will try Edplace
Thank you all again

Did you use it? Is it good? I read reviews but I trust yall more
Reply 12

not yet i haven't got the chance to try it out
Reply 13
Original post by Trickia
-Yr10

Heya!
Understanding longer and more complex worded maths questions can be challenging! To improve comprehension, break down the question into smaller parts and identify key information. Practice analyzing and interpreting different scenarios to strengthen your problem-solving skills and enhance your ability to understand what is being asked in the question. If it helps, Study Mind has free resources you can use!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Very Good :smile: Being using it since primary school :laugh:
Reply 15
Original post by propergoodman
Very Good :smile: Being using it since primary school :laugh:

I just discovered it, WHERE HAVE I BEEN
Original post by OllyWilson
I just discovered it, WHERE HAVE I BEEN

Have you bought it for a year or a month? It is very good :smile: