The Student Room Group

Becoming a PE teacher in my 40's.. Do you think it's worth it or am I too old?

I am currently 37 years old and im debating whether to go back to uni to get a degree in sport and fitness (3 year degree)

Then I would need to complete one year of PGCE training.

I would be 41 by the time I finished all course work and be eligible to work as a PE teacher.

(Assuming all went to plan)

Is it worth it? Am i too old? What do you think? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Original post by ZenDixon
I am currently 37 years old and im debating whether to go back to uni to get a degree in sport and fitness (3 year degree)

I would be 41 by the time I finished all course work and be eligible to work as a PE teacher.

Thanks.

It’s never to old to reach a aim or goal there’s international master students in mid thirty’s attending university so don’t feel age is a factor.
(edited 10 months ago)

Thanks.

You will still have about 26 years of career left!

Thanks.

As a teaching student, I think that you should definitely pursue a career which would make you happy! There are plenty of people who still love to play sports and stay active at 41.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Rachel- YSJ student rep
Reply 4
The head of my daughter's primary school was excellent.
He used to work in the hosiery industry then retrained as a teacher in his 50s.
Reply 5

Thanks.

I was 39 when I trained as a teacher. I am now part of the 2/3 of teachers who go past 5 years!

What I will say is that PE is a funny subject. Sport Science is a niche option and regular PE lessons will include constantly trying to motivate kids who have no interest in exercise. It is definitely one of those jobs for a certain type of personality.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending