The Student Room Group

predicted grade concern

Hello, I had a question possibly from any Year 13s/uni students who might have been in the same position as me. I take Biology, Chemistry, and Maths A Levels, and recently, I did a Chemistry test that I got a B on. I am so dissapointed in myself and genuinely so upset. I am mostly upset because I am worried it will affect my predicted grade, which I desperately need to be an A* for this course I would like to study in university. Throughout the year, I have achieved nothing but As and A*s, and achieved only one mark off an A* in the mock. My teacher told me after the mock he would predict me an A*, but I am worried after this test he might reconsider. Is it likely for him to? My teacher made it clear that he bases the predicted grade mainly on the mock which would in theory make me safe, but would this brief test affect his judgement? It only had 4 exam questions, and I was too focused on maths that week that I completely ran out of time to practice for chemistry, since maths is a weaker subject. Anyone help please, I am genuinely so scared right now.
"My teacher made it clear that he bases the predicted grade mainly on the mock"

Find it hard to believe that 1 slightly worse test would sway his decision, so you're probable fine. But ultimately it's down to him, so I'd just speak to him.
Original post by alevelsarenotfun
Hello, I had a question possibly from any Year 13s/uni students who might have been in the same position as me. I take Biology, Chemistry, and Maths A Levels, and recently, I did a Chemistry test that I got a B on. I am so dissapointed in myself and genuinely so upset. I am mostly upset because I am worried it will affect my predicted grade, which I desperately need to be an A* for this course I would like to study in university. Throughout the year, I have achieved nothing but As and A*s, and achieved only one mark off an A* in the mock. My teacher told me after the mock he would predict me an A*, but I am worried after this test he might reconsider. Is it likely for him to? My teacher made it clear that he bases the predicted grade mainly on the mock which would in theory make me safe, but would this brief test affect his judgement? It only had 4 exam questions, and I was too focused on maths that week that I completely ran out of time to practice for chemistry, since maths is a weaker subject. Anyone help please, I am genuinely so scared right now.

I don’t think you have anything to worry about. You don’t need to be perfect all the time, and your teacher will know your usual performance is better than that, so I don’t think it’ll affect your predicted grade. If it helps (I’m y13 right now) I got Bs fairly often in my biology tests, scraped an A* in my mock and I was still predicted an A*.
Original post by AnotherStudent!
"My teacher made it clear that he bases the predicted grade mainly on the mock"

Find it hard to believe that 1 slightly worse test would sway his decision, so you're probable fine. But ultimately it's down to him, so I'd just speak to him.

I emailed him and he said "don't worry quite a few people didn't do well" but I might speak to him in person because I feel like his response was really vague
Original post by Teribblestudent
I don’t think you have anything to worry about. You don’t need to be perfect all the time, and your teacher will know your usual performance is better than that, so I don’t think it’ll affect your predicted grade. If it helps (I’m y13 right now) I got Bs fairly often in my biology tests, scraped an A* in my mock and I was still predicted an A*.

That actually does make me feel a bit better thank you

Quick Reply

Latest