The Student Room Group

Literally can’t stop comparing myself to others

I feel a bit daft even coming on here and saying (ranting) about all of this but it’s something I’ve been struggling with a lot recently. I’m 18, I feel as though people my age are achieving way more than I am and it leads me to compare myself to them.

There’s things like relationships etc etc never been in one but that’s not really the part I’m worried about rn. In the last two days I’ve seen two people that I know of pass their driving test and the reason it’s made me feel the way I do is because I was actually meant to be sitting mines tomorrow. However I done a mock test last week and I just made a few too many mistakes for my instructor to feel confident putting me forward for it. I’ve rescheduled it and the next available dates not till like November. I’m in two minds about it because I didn’t feel 100% ready for my test anyways so I know it’s for the best but at the same time I’m obviously quite disappointed.

I don’t want to make it seem like I’m envious or jealous of these people but I’m hoping you can sort of see where I’m coming from. I’m a very by nature anxious person and self esteem and confidence is not something that comes natural to me although I’m trying to work on it.
Reply 1
Its completely fine and okay to feel like this however have confidence in yourself! A lot of people are nowhere near to passing their driving at that age and you should be proud of yourself. Its normal to sometimes feel jealous and envious but just know other peoples successes do not take away from your own and focusing on your own goals and where you want to get is more important. You should try to increase your confidence and self esteem even by simply practicing being kinder to yourself or maybe finding a hobby or focusing on something you know you're good at and makes you feel good about yourself. I don't know if this helped but just know your doing enough and good luck with your driving you'll get there!
Reply 2
Original post by mxyaa.x
Its completely fine and okay to feel like this however have confidence in yourself! A lot of people are nowhere near to passing their driving at that age and you should be proud of yourself. Its normal to sometimes feel jealous and envious but just know other peoples successes do not take away from your own and focusing on your own goals and where you want to get is more important. You should try to increase your confidence and self esteem even by simply practicing being kinder to yourself or maybe finding a hobby or focusing on something you know you're good at and makes you feel good about yourself. I don't know if this helped but just know your doing enough and good luck with your driving you'll get there!

Thank you :smile: :smile:
is there an area where you can practise driving? before you drive, you can tell yourself, "i am confident. i will drive and follow the rules of driving. if i make a mistake, no one is around to punish me. then i can practise again, starting from the beginning. i will drive as many times as i need until i am confident in passing the exam."

Quick Reply

Latest