The Student Room Group

Which course should I pick

I know at the end of the day it’s going to be my choice but I am curious to know what the public thinks especially because it would be somewhat unbiased… so design or business management - which university course would you pick
I think it entirely depends on what you are most interested in and what your future career plans are. Business would probably be seen as the better choice by a lot of people as there is a lot of career choices and opportunities and it's a reliable course valued by a lot of employers. You could also incorporate the skills you would learn on the business course into starting your own design business. However, I imagine that you would still be taught the aspects you would need to start your own business on the design course and there's a lot of valuable info about design that you wouldn't learn on the business course and therefore may be something you lack if you did decide to start a design business so in that case design may be a more valuable course. If you decide to do design over business don't let anyone's opinions stop you as it's what you feel most happy and comfortable with, coming from someone who's also starting a music business and event management university degree in September which is quite niche despite many people telling me it's not what I should do as it's not a reliable degree and that I should just do my backup plan which is teaching because it's more reliable. Goodluck with whatever you choose to do in the future!
Original post by XxFabGachaxX
I know at the end of the day it’s going to be my choice but I am curious to know what the public thinks especially because it would be somewhat unbiased… so design or business management - which university course would you pick

Hi @XxFabGachaxX,
As you have said it is a choice which ultimately comes down to you.
Both courses will contain some similar transferable skills but will be quite unique and different in their subject matter. The courses may also offer different teaching styles and on campus time, which may make a difference to you. Some people like more independent study whereas others prefer more structured and timetabled on-campus teaching days.
I don't know that much about the courses (plus they vary at every uni) but you asked for an unbiased opinion, so to me design is practical and requires an edge of artistic passion and business management typically has a more corporate edge based more on management and perhaps less hands on that design would be. The job market is ever changing and will no doubt have further evolved by the time you graduate so either way there should be plenty opportunities.
All the best for your decision in choosing a course.
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Victoria_Helen15
I think it entirely depends on what you are most interested in and what your future career plans are. Business would probably be seen as the better choice by a lot of people as there is a lot of career choices and opportunities and it's a reliable course valued by a lot of employers. You could also incorporate the skills you would learn on the business course into starting your own design business. However, I imagine that you would still be taught the aspects you would need to start your own business on the design course and there's a lot of valuable info about design that you wouldn't learn on the business course and therefore may be something you lack if you did decide to start a design business so in that case design may be a more valuable course. If you decide to do design over business don't let anyone's opinions stop you as it's what you feel most happy and comfortable with, coming from someone who's also starting a music business and event management university degree in September which is quite niche despite many people telling me it's not what I should do as it's not a reliable degree and that I should just do my backup plan which is teaching because it's more reliable. Goodluck with whatever you choose to do in the future!

Thanks for your input I never thought about it that way in terms of design courses teaching aspects about starting a business. I guess the problem is establishing a stable career and having a backup plan but your opinion was really helpful. Good luck to your future and I hope you enjoy your uni degree :smile:.
Reply 4
Original post by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Hi @XxFabGachaxX,
As you have said it is a choice which ultimately comes down to you.
Both courses will contain some similar transferable skills but will be quite unique and different in their subject matter. The courses may also offer different teaching styles and on campus time, which may make a difference to you. Some people like more independent study whereas others prefer more structured and timetabled on-campus teaching days.
I don't know that much about the courses (plus they vary at every uni) but you asked for an unbiased opinion, so to me design is practical and requires an edge of artistic passion and business management is more corporate and rigid and based more on management than hands on that design would be. The job market is ever changing and will no doubt have further evolved by the time you graduate so either way there should be plenty opportunities.
All the best for your decision in choosing a course.
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador

I appreciate your opinion especially since I'm in a dilemma of people telling me to pick business but i don't know how I can include the element of design in the future. But knowing that design can be beneficial in its own way after what you said will be considered in making my decision so thanks
Original post by XxFabGachaxX

Hey @XxFabGachaxX :smile:

Whilst it is definitely your choice and your choice alone, I thought I'd jump in and give you some things to think about. It's important you choose a path that aligns with your interests, strengths and long-term career goals.

I'd recommend you book onto some upcoming open days and attend subject talks for both courses, speak to the academics and ask any questions you have, speak to the current students there, see the facilities, take a tour of campus.

Consider which subject area you're genuinely passionate about, what excites you the most? Take a look at the modules on uni course pages to get a further insight into the course. You can also speak to current students directly using unibuddy to find out what it's really like studying that course, and you can also take a look at uni's social media channels to find student blogs, profiles and vlogs about the course or general student life at that uni as well.

Think about your strengths and skills when considering the two subjects, creative vs analytical thinking, artistic expression vs leadership etc. Then reflect on career aspirations, have a look into the potential career paths both courses would open up to you. You could even try reach out to alumni from both courses and ask them to share their experiences and career insights with you and get a better understanding of each field.

Are you interested in getting involved with internships, work placements and getting that real-world experience during your studies? This is something you could look into and see if the courses offer these types of opportunities.

I wish you the best of luck in making your decision, I'm sure you'll choose the right course for you! Both courses can lead to fulfilling careers and they sound really interesting and exciting, but just take your time to gather information, talk to different people (at the uni, alumni, professionals in that field) and just trust yourself that you'll make the best choice for your future :smile:

Becky
Reply 6
Original post by University of Bradford
Hey @XxFabGachaxX :smile:

Whilst it is definitely your choice and your choice alone, I thought I'd jump in and give you some things to think about. It's important you choose a path that aligns with your interests, strengths and long-term career goals.

I'd recommend you book onto some upcoming open days and attend subject talks for both courses, speak to the academics and ask any questions you have, speak to the current students there, see the facilities, take a tour of campus.

Consider which subject area you're genuinely passionate about, what excites you the most? Take a look at the modules on uni course pages to get a further insight into the course. You can also speak to current students directly using unibuddy to find out what it's really like studying that course, and you can also take a look at uni's social media channels to find student blogs, profiles and vlogs about the course or general student life at that uni as well.

Think about your strengths and skills when considering the two subjects, creative vs analytical thinking, artistic expression vs leadership etc. Then reflect on career aspirations, have a look into the potential career paths both courses would open up to you. You could even try reach out to alumni from both courses and ask them to share their experiences and career insights with you and get a better understanding of each field.

Are you interested in getting involved with internships, work placements and getting that real-world experience during your studies? This is something you could look into and see if the courses offer these types of opportunities.

I wish you the best of luck in making your decision, I'm sure you'll choose the right course for you! Both courses can lead to fulfilling careers and they sound really interesting and exciting, but just take your time to gather information, talk to different people (at the uni, alumni, professionals in that field) and just trust yourself that you'll make the best choice for your future :smile:

Becky

I recently had the thought that (hypothetically) if I pick the business management course as an undergraduate. Can I still not do like a 2 year course or something similar for design later on after I finish my BM course at uni?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending