The Student Room Group

Rejected from Twice Today for Retail Job

So applied to like 20 jobs got the outcome of 2 today. Both rejections.

I have got 1 year experience working at Marks and Spencer so know how things go in a retail store.

Why are they rejecting me.

In my CV I included, Introduction, Qualification, Experience, Certificate and Languages.

My CV isn't too dull neither too fancy.

What am I messing up.

I need a job by 6th July. Any ideas???
Reply 1
CV isn't really that important for MOST retail jobs. There are a lot of other factors that come into play and CV isnt really the most important one of them when it comes to customer service roles. I worked as a retail Manager for a massive company (over 80k employees) and we (managers) used to be so frustrated with the calibre of people head office used to send to us. But the company can pay them minimum wage so in the end its better to hire a cheaper person as the work is relatively easy and not a lot of training is needed, this is normal in retail as Margins are very low. Also, number of applicants per role is also a factor. Most retail jobs will have a lot of applications per role, most of them will not even get looked at. So it could be a bit of a lottery sometimes. We would typically get over 200 applicant per role. Tesco, AsDa, lidl etc will have even more.

Try signing up for job alerts if the company does it, and apply immediately when something comes up is probably the best advice I can give you.

But don't worry about the CV too much. As long as it includes elements team working and customer service skills You'll be fine. Make sure you talk about your flexibility. Retail jobs love "flexible" people.
(edited 10 months ago)
Keep going. I kept going and I was once rejected for a voluntary job, that’s when you know you are at rock bottom
Reply 3
Original post by Awaitingquavers
Keep going. I kept going and I was once rejected for a voluntary job, that’s when you know you are at rock bottom

The question is will I find one by the 5th of July?

If I have any good updates I am considering extending it to the 10th of July so I dont miss out on money and wasting time.

What do I need to improve if I am at the rock bottom?
Reply 4
Original post by Char3313L
CV isn't really that important for MOST retail jobs. There are a lot of other factors that come into play and CV isnt really the most important one of them when it comes to customer service roles. I worked as a retail Manager for a massive company (over 80k employees) and we (managers) used to be so frustrated with the calibre of people head office used to send to us. But the company can pay them minimum wage so in the end its better to hire a cheaper person as the work is relatively easy and not a lot of training is needed, this is normal in retail as Margins are very low. Also, number of applicants per role is also a factor. Most retail jobs will have a lot of applications per role, most of them will not even get looked at. So it could be a bit of a lottery sometimes. We would typically get over 200 applicant per role. Tesco, AsDa, lidl etc will have even more.

Try signing up for job alerts if the company does it, and apply immediately when something comes up is probably the best advice I can give you.

But don't worry about the CV too much. As long as it includes elements team working and customer service skills You'll be fine. Make sure you talk about your flexibility. Retail jobs love "flexible" people.

Then why am I getting rejected.

Literally 2 jobs rejected me yesterday.

I will put on job alerts.

How did my friend get a job really quickly at the age of 16. With no experience.

It was his 4th job applying and literally got an interview 12 hours later.
Reply 5
Original post by zayn_24
Then why am I getting rejected.

Literally 2 jobs rejected me yesterday.

I will put on job alerts.

How did my friend get a job really quickly at the age of 16. With no experience.

It was his 4th job applying and literally got an interview 12 hours later.

If your 16 year old friend with no experience has an interview 12 hrs after applying. Does this not prove my point that Cv doesn't matter too much, and being quick your application is important. Turnover is high and fast in retail, so signing up for job alerts and getting your application in quick really helps. Also 16 year olds are cheap to employ compared to someone over 21.

But keep applying and remember to make sure your Cv mentions customer service skills, good communication and Flexibility.
These kind of jobs tend to have many applicants for a few positions.

Chances are you are just unlucky
Reply 7
Original post by zayn_24

I have got 1 year experience working at Marks and Spencer so know how things go in a retail store.

In my CV I included, Introduction, Qualification, Experience, Certificate and Languages.

What am I messing up.

Thought you had a fancy CV? Have you taken on board the advice in your other thread about demonstrating your skills?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7367681#post98604227
Reply 8
Since retail jobs receive so many applicants, I’ve found that I’ve got offered interviews to those that were only just listed so it’s more of a time thing, get in early and your chances are increased a ton.
Reply 9
Original post by zayn_24

What am I messing up.

I'm in the same place as you. You need to apply for more, even after 100 applications I only had 4-5 interviews and still waiting to be informed whether I'm accepted or not.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 10
Original post by zayn_24

What am I messing up.

It’s often better to apply to maybe 2-3 places at a time but really tailor your CV to a job. The workplace will receive soooo many CVs that have clearly been sent to multiple places so do your research and really play on the values and work structure of each place you apply to. This doesn’t mean you have to write a whole new document for every place but make sure you are really highlighting your CV for each individual application. I have had 3 part time jobs in the last 7 years, 2 retail and 1 healthcare but I only applied to each one individually at a time and tailored my CV specifically for each. I got offers for all 3 jobs and got to work with management to select new recruits at one workplace. Quality over quantity is often appreciated
Reply 11
First, call them and politely ask why they rejected you so that, moving forward, you can adjust your application skills.
Secondly, look at similar positions with companies other than those you are applying for. Look at the language and keywords/skills they use. Then implement them into you're covering letter. For example, if you are applying for a position in ASDA and TESCO then use some of the TESCO wording.
See this link for a typical customer service position with TESCO
https://www.google.com/search?q=tesco+customer+service+jobs&rlz=1C1ONGR_enGB1060GB1060&oq=tesco+customer+service+jobs&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i512j0i22i30l8.13283j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&ibp=htl;jobs&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjfp8ne6uv_AhWUgVwKHQ8cCS4Qkd0GegQIFxAB#fpstate=tldetail&htivrt=jobs&htiq=tesco+customer+service+jobs&htidocid=Sx_gUPB9YbgAAAAAAAAAAA%3D%3D&sxsrf=AB5stBjUF120bqrRwIkCu3aMOgmbK00zxw:1688156958256

You'll meet great people, learn new things and be part of an expert, diverse team where everyone is welcome.
Translated into your covering letter.
'I enjoy meeting people, whether that be online, over the phone of face to face. I'm keen to learn new skills and thrive working as part of a diverse team with a lot of knowledge and experience, which I will always be open to taking on board. I welcome the opportunity to tell you more about myself and my experiences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending