The Student Room Group

please- i am losing hope

so i have been trying persistently to get a part time job for almost like three friggin' years now, it's a joke.
I get upset when people act like it's so easy and are like 'oh you should get a summer job' AS IF THAT'S NOT WHAT IM TRYNA DO :frown:

I don't have experience but it's counterintuitive cause how tf do i get experience when no one wants to hire me??
For the record I have volunteered and done a year abroad and my grades are also good enough, so idk what the actual heck is going on, its really unfair.

I need a part-time job as i am a student and it's not going well. I even get rejected from campus roles which is the worst part. Like why does it feel like i'm cursed and no one wants to give me a chance??

This game is just completely unfair as it seems to me, the only wat you can get a job is 1. via lying (which i can't do i'm too honest) and 2. through nepotism (again im out of luck, i got no connections)

What do i do? It's easy to say don't lose hope but what am i supposed to think after persisting for so long?? I have resorted to self employment but it's not bringing enough money and i was hoping to get a real job soon so i can quit this role but it hasn't happened :frown:(
Original post by Mystical_psychic
so i have been trying persistently to get a part time job for almost like three friggin' years now, it's a joke.
I get upset when people act like it's so easy and are like 'oh you should get a summer job' AS IF THAT'S NOT WHAT IM TRYNA DO :frown:

I don't have experience but it's counterintuitive cause how tf do i get experience when no one wants to hire me??
For the record I have volunteered and done a year abroad and my grades are also good enough, so idk what the actual heck is going on, its really unfair.

I need a part-time job as i am a student and it's not going well. I even get rejected from campus roles which is the worst part. Like why does it feel like i'm cursed and no one wants to give me a chance??

This game is just completely unfair as it seems to me, the only wat you can get a job is 1. via lying (which i can't do i'm too honest) and 2. through nepotism (again im out of luck, i got no connections)

What do i do? It's easy to say don't lose hope but what am i supposed to think after persisting for so long?? I have resorted to self employment but it's not bringing enough money and i was hoping to get a real job soon so i can quit this role but it hasn't happened :frown:(

At what point in the process are you being rejected - pre or post interview? Have you asked for feedback about why you are not getting the jobs? What kind of roles are you applying for?
Reply 2
You don't need experience of a job to apply for a job. You need your CV to be written to demonstrate your transferable skills; these are the competencies you have that that would be useful in the job role.

For example, if you've worked on a till in a charity shop that's cash-handling, customer service and problem-solving. What did you do as a volunteer?
Original post by normaw
At what point in the process are you being rejected - pre or post interview? Have you asked for feedback about why you are not getting the jobs? What kind of roles are you applying for?
majority of the times i don't get an interview. I have only ever had two interviews and been rejected both times. I always as for feedback but always get ignored so i don't even know what their reasoning ever is :/

I can only apply for the basic retail, customer service jobs which are advertised as no experience. I am very limited.
Original post by Surnia
You don't need experience of a job to apply for a job. You need your CV to be written to demonstrate your transferable skills; these are the competencies you have that that would be useful in the job role.
For example, if you've worked on a till in a charity shop that's cash-handling, customer service and problem-solving. What did you do as a volunteer?

I volunteer as an NHS support person, so I just answer alert calls and chat to elderly who feel lonely. I haven't ever really had actual face-to-face experience in anything.

Have you tried companies such as mcdonalds? They take on a lot of students.
Reply 6
I volunteer as an NHS support person, so I just answer alert calls and chat to elderly who feel lonely. I haven't ever really had actual face-to-face experience in anything.
So responsibility, verbal (and written?) communication, customer service etc; I mean, what was the spec for this role, and how did you get it without experience? Think about it...
Original post by Surnia
So responsibility, verbal (and written?) communication, customer service etc; I mean, what was the spec for this role, and how did you get it without experience? Think about it...
Anyone can volunteer as a NHS worker that's why- I wasn't selected or anything

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending