The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

University of Leeds Catered vs Self-Catered

Hi,

I am currently applying for my preferred Hall of Residence at the University of Leeds and would like to know what The Refectory is like food-wise if I were to opt for a catered accommodation. Is it nice? Worth the extra money? Is it a bit like a school canteen? How expensive is it in there?

Would just like to know anyone's experience of going Catered or Self-Catered and what their opinions are about the Refectory and the topic as a whole.

Thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I am currently applying for my preferred Hall of Residence at the University of Leeds and would like to know what The Refectory is like food-wise if I were to opt for a catered accommodation. Is it nice? Worth the extra money? Is it a bit like a school canteen? How expensive is it in there?

Would just like to know anyone's experience of going Catered or Self-Catered and what their opinions are about the Refectory and the topic as a whole.

Thanks!

I am looking for the same answer, I am an international student and trying to choose what kind of accommodation to choose where it is sociable and overall gives me the best experience.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by isolatedchad
I am looking for the same answer, I am an international student and trying to choose what kind of accommodation to choose where it is sociable and overall gives me the best experience.

you can find many different vlogs on YouTube about accommodation
( some by international students) so recommend you search there instead
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

Thanks!

I don’t know when accomm applications close so this may be too late of a response but might be useful anyway. I will always tell people that ask to go self catered! It’s genuinely such a less significant decision than you think at the end of the day you’ll get your meals either way. But you need to get on your own two feet and learn to cook at some point and uni is a great place to do it! The food at the refractory is nice, there’s generally good variation, of course more restrictive if you have dietary restrictions. But you have to eat at the times they say, eat the food they give and the portions they give, and personally I’d hate the feeling of having to find people to sit with/having to sit with other people at every single meal I had - I love putting my netflix on and eating my dinner it’s the best time of the day lol. Self catered is also a great way to connect with your flatmates since you’re in the kitchen together all the time. In my first year we did flat dinner where we took turns to cook a big dinner for everyone every Sunday and it was so fun. Either way you’ll be fine, but I would 100% recommend self catered. Practise some basic recipes at home before you go/ask your parents to teach you some and make sure they’re ones that give you all your nutrients, not frozen chicken nuggets and chips! Hope this helps in some way, any other questions feel free to ask ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest