The Student Room Group

Economics without A level maths?

Hi, im starting at Sussex in September doing economics. I did Economics at A level and really enjoyed it. I found the maths mostly straight forward but im just wanted to know how big of a step up the maths is at uni. I didn’t do Maths at A level. Should i be worried?
Original post by PDunne8
Hi, im starting at Sussex in September doing economics. I did Economics at A level and really enjoyed it. I found the maths mostly straight forward but im just wanted to know how big of a step up the maths is at uni. I didn’t do Maths at A level. Should i be worried?

I dont think there is any maths in economics A level apart from simple calculations. Most unis require A level maths for econ which means there is a lot of mathematical content in it. Again, it depends upon the uni. There might not be a lot of maths but I guess if you did A level maths, you would be in a good position. Yes, you need to be worried but that doesnt means you shoudnt do econ at uni.
What you will need to do is to work harder than your friends who did maths at A level and they would be much more familiar.
Anyways, I think it will be big step-up so please be prepared that you will need to work very hard (assumung you want a first or 2:1).

Quick Reply

Latest