The Student Room Group

focus topics for a law personal statement

hi i'm starting to write my personal statement and have gathered that is best to focus of one certain topic of interest within law, right now i have no idea what to focus on - does anyone have any suggestions on what to focus on?
Original post by yesnobutyes
hi i'm starting to write my personal statement and have gathered that is best to focus of one certain topic of interest within law, right now i have no idea what to focus on - does anyone have any suggestions on what to focus on?

Hey there! Choosing the right topic can make your personal statement more compelling and help showcase your passion but whatever you choose has to be something which you can make whoever is reading your ps feel like you have a genuine passion for it. Think carefully about what areas have really drawn your attention and also one in which you will be prepared to talk about in interviews. Despite not being able to provide you suggestions on what to focus on, I can provide you a template on how to structure your personal statement.

[Opening Paragraph]
Introduce yourself and provide a brief overview of your interest in law. Explain what initially drew you to the field and how your passion for justice, problem-solving, and advocating for others has developed over time. Highlight any specific experiences or events that ignited your desire to pursue a legal career.

[Body Paragraph 1]
Discuss your academic background and any relevant coursework or research projects that have deepened your understanding of the law. Highlight specific subjects or areas of law that have captured your interest and explain why they resonate with you. Share any accomplishments or achievements that demonstrate your dedication and aptitude for legal studies.

[Body Paragraph 2]
Describe any extracurricular activities or experiences that have shaped your perspective on the legal field. This could include internships, volunteer work, or participation in student organizations related to law. Discuss how these experiences have broadened your understanding of the real-world application of law and provided insight into the challenges and opportunities within the field.

[Body Paragraph 3]
Reflect on any personal qualities or skills that make you well-suited for a career in law. Discuss your critical thinking abilities, analytical skills, attention to detail, and capacity for logical reasoning. Provide examples of situations where you have effectively utilized these skills and explain how they contribute to your potential as a successful law student and future legal professional.

[Body Paragraph 4]
Share your long-term goals and aspirations within the legal field. Discuss the areas of law you are interested in exploring and the impact you hope to make. Highlight any specific legal issues, social justice causes, or policy areas that resonate with you. Explain why these matters are significant to you and how you envision using your legal knowledge and skills to address them.

[Closing Paragraph]
Summarize your passion for law and reiterate your commitment to pursuing a legal career. Emphasize your readiness to embark on a rigorous legal education and your eagerness to contribute to the field. Conclude with a confident statement about the impact you hope to make as a lawyer and your dedication to upholding justice and promoting the rule of law. This should be a really short sentence but really powerful.

Good luck with writing your personal statement! Feel free to ask for any further advice :smile:
Original post by yesnobutyes

Hi there!

Writing a personal statement can be very difficult sometimes because trying to show yourself off/prove yourself can be a lot of pressure! Although it is (of course) meant to be focused on law and perhaps the area of law you are most interested in, don't forget that this is a chance to show yourself off and prove what you have done and why you should be chosen!

My top tips would be to channel your own personal achievements to law (even if this is more general or specific). For example, I worked in a cafe for 5 years and this shows commitment, dedication and hard work which ultimately is transferable to any degree. So, although it can just be about the area you are interested in, it can also be about about who you are as a person and exactly where your values lie!

I would also suggest speaking to people in the industry (ie, through LinkedIn or any family/friends if they are in the same industry), researching and reading online to show your real dedication to the degree.

Everybody who works/is involved with law knows that it is SO broad and that you may have a few areas of interest and being versatile is not a bad thing! So if you cannot think of one area of law that you are interested...then don't! Express a few areas that you are interested in and how your values/work experiences (whether legal or not) make you interested in law.

Hope this helps!

Kate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending