The Student Room Group

I need advice about employment as a foreigner

Hello!

I work in Russia as a head of the unit dealing with Financial Markets Analysis in the Central Bank of Russia. After my country unleashed war against Ukraine I left country and tried to find a job in Europe, but it almost impossible to do it without a work permit.

So I decided to enter a master’s program in UK this year and stay for two more years in order to find an employer who can sponsor my visa.

I have got offers from UCL and Warwick in MSc Finance. I am a CFA Charterholder and have 10 year-work experience in the Central Bank. Is it possible to find a job as an analyst in London in my situation after graduation? Or should I go through internship route?

It is very important question for me, because I have wife and little son, who will stay in Russia during my education and I want them to move in the UK next year.

Any good advice or comments in my situation? Is it possible to get a good position and earn enough money to support your family in London?

Thank you!
Original post by Gambler_91
Hello!

I work in Russia as a head of the unit dealing with Financial Markets Analysis in the Central Bank of Russia. After my country unleashed war against Ukraine I left country and tried to find a job in Europe, but it almost impossible to do it without a work permit.

So I decided to enter a master’s program in UK this year and stay for two more years in order to find an employer who can sponsor my visa.

I have got offers from UCL and Warwick in MSc Finance. I am a CFA Charterholder and have 10 year-work experience in the Central Bank. Is it possible to find a job as an analyst in London in my situation after graduation? Or should I go through internship route?

It is very important question for me, because I have wife and little son, who will stay in Russia during my education and I want them to move in the UK next year.

Any good advice or comments in my situation? Is it possible to get a good position and earn enough money to support your family in London?

Thank you!

As far as I know, foreign students are also allowed to bring any spouses/kids while they're studying. I'm not sure of the rules once on a graduate work visa.

One point that stands out is that it sounds like you'd be looking to join a graduate scheme after finishing your master's. And although you'd be allowed to as a new graduate with a graduate visa, these are typically very junior jobs rather than intended for those with 10yrs experience. As such, you get paid accordingly. Sure, graduate pay in financial services is strong even for graduates, but it would be the same pay as 21yr olds get rather than what someone with experience would probably want/need. So it might also be worth looking for experienced hire jobs, not just graduate ones

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending