The Student Room Group

I didn't get into uni

Ok long story short , I didnt get into uni cause if my alevels
I lied to my parents saying I got in.....now what do I do ????

There is no turning back now - I feel horrible but I have literally no choice. Has anyone been in this situations

The worst part is someone else (that I know that I can't tell due to the fact she will tell someone else ) is going into the same uni I said "I was going to" but with difference course

What sort of things do I need to look out for ie finance , timetable etc etc
yeah .... just tell your parents
Original post by 123ereeerrgh
I lied to my parents saying I got in.....now what do I do ????

There is no turning back now - I feel horrible but I have literally no choice. Has anyone been in this situations

The worst part is someone else (that I know that I can't tell due to the fact she will tell someone else ) is going into the same uni I said "I was going to" but with difference course

What sort of things do I need to look out for ie finance , timetable etc etc

Just say you've had a change of heart and decided not to go after all. Just say you've had enough of education and if you went your heart wouldn't be in it so likely wouldn't do well and you wouldn't want to be there. Say that you want to get on with your life earning money now rather than stuff in education for three more years.

End of the day job pay isn't that great for Grads these days, little difference to non Grads and many grads do non grad jobs anyway in leaving university. Don't feel that you have to go along with the whole uni thing even if you had got the grades.

End of the day your parents and no one else needs to know that you didn't get the grades you needed. Your over 18 that means your an adult, an adult doesn't act like a child going to his parents telling them the in & outs of their life and waiting to be given advice on what they should do next. That's what a child does, sure if you want to talk about stuff with apparent that's ok and down to you but don't feel you are under any obligation too you're not that all ends when you turn 18.

If it was me I would just go out and apply for anything that seems reasonable that you think you want to do and that might help you move your life forward. It doesn't have to be anything glorious it can be basic but possibly somewhere where apart from earning money you might meet others, form friends, find a partner, etc.
Reply 3
You will feel a lot better once you tell the truth ... you can enrol at college or take a year to find out what you want to do next, even an apprenticeship.
Original post by Katerina S.
Your over 18 that means your an adult, an adult doesn't act like a child going to his parents telling them the in & outs of their life and waiting to be given advice on what they should do next. That's what a child does, sure if you want to talk about stuff with apparent that's ok and down to you but don't feel you are under any obligation too you're not that all ends when you turn 18.

If it was me I would just go out and apply for anything that seems reasonable that you think you want to do and that might help you move your life forward. It doesn't have to be anything glorious it can be basic but possibly somewhere where apart from earning money you might meet others, form friends, find a partner, etc.

Given that you'll still be living with them, I think you do need to talk with your parents. I'm assuming you don't have the finance to live the lie as in finding somewhere to live in a foreign city and to support yourself.

Here goes:

* Speak to your former head of 6th form NOW. Ask for their help. They already know your grades so it'll be easier. Ask if you're likely to be able to re-sit and get good enough grades. Ask about doing an extra year (Foundation year) at a Uni which is designed for those with lower results. Ask about degree apprenticeships. I know someone who is 19 and is an apprentice with IBM (they don't want graduates for certain roles) and is earning about £26k. Ask about the local youth employment service or any contacts they have.

* Now you've got the information, you're in a better place to formulate your plan. Only you know whether you still want to go to Uni next September.

* Find a time to sit your parents down and explain that you were embarrassed / upset or whatever with the results but that you want to be honest with them now. Tell them that you've looked into the options and that you've decided to _________

Whatever your relationship with them has been like up until now, tell them that you really need their help and support with this decision.
You may be pleasantly supplied just how much they will want to help you take whatever the next steps will be.

Good Luck
If you couldn't spell A Levels, it's not surprising.
Tell your parents that you panicked and said what you thought they wanted to hear. They'll support you whatever you do.
Reply 6
You should tell your parents
Original post by 123ereeerrgh

so what did you decide to do?
(edited 6 months ago)
womp womp
Original post by Anonymous #1
If you couldn't spell A Levels, it's not surprising.
Tell your parents that you panicked and said what you thought they wanted to hear. They'll support you whatever you do.

bit harsh. i cant type but i can spell - i passed my english gcses well.
Just saying

Quick Reply

Latest