The Student Room Group

which alevels for sixth form application?

hello, I'm in year 10 right now and I'm applying for sixth forms so I need to choose 4 subjects to apply with but I'm a bit conflicted about them

firstly, i want to go to king's or westminster and they have quite different subject choices which means i would be applying with totally different alevels. im a bit concerned about that because the ones i'm applying to westminster with are my second choices which might be bad

so for kings i would apply with psychology/politics/philosophy/geography but for westminster since they don't have politics and psychology i would do english lit and economics instead. i feel as though my westminster choices are a bit clunky and don't really go together because it's just whatever i feel i could bear taking, but i would rather go to westminster than kings.

obvs i haven't gotten into either yet but the application process is stressing me out as i don't want to apply with totally different subjects and i feel that i should stick with the same 4 for both just for consistency. so should i drop politics and psychology although i really want to do them, and just do eng/phil/geo/econ even though it's a bit more of a mishmash?

sorry for the long post
(edited 10 months ago)
something i wish i'd known when choosing a levels is that they don't always need to go together. in truth i picked three that overlap so much that i always got confused! in an exam, i'm pretty sure i wrote about the wrong topic from a completely different subject. so please know that there is nothing wrong with clunky subjects that don't go together.

also consider which subjects require coursework. you may be a coursework person who wouldn't mind three or four a levels which contain it as well as exams- but it can get a bit much to do. all of mine were due at the same time and it was a lot of stress alongside revising for exams.

if you can't narrow down your choices, you can apply for both colleges with completely different a levels to each other. there is nothing wrong with that and it shouldn't affect your application at all. if there are two you really want to do, then go for it! remember that as stressful as a levels are, they're also meant to be fun and you're meant to love what you're doing.

it does sound to me that you're quite certain about westminister but if the subject choices are more important, like politics and psychology, you should go for the one that offers it!
Original post by Starrytillymae
something i wish i'd known when choosing a levels is that they don't always need to go together. in truth i picked three that overlap so much that i always got confused! in an exam, i'm pretty sure i wrote about the wrong topic from a completely different subject. so please know that there is nothing wrong with clunky subjects that don't go together.

also consider which subjects require coursework. you may be a coursework person who wouldn't mind three or four a levels which contain it as well as exams- but it can get a bit much to do. all of mine were due at the same time and it was a lot of stress alongside revising for exams.

if you can't narrow down your choices, you can apply for both colleges with completely different a levels to each other. there is nothing wrong with that and it shouldn't affect your application at all. if there are two you really want to do, then go for it! remember that as stressful as a levels are, they're also meant to be fun and you're meant to love what you're doing.

it does sound to me that you're quite certain about westminister but if the subject choices are more important, like politics and psychology, you should go for the one that offers it!

thanks so much! if you don't mind, what subjects did you take?
Original post by zziawoo
thanks so much! if you don't mind, what subjects did you take?

i took law, film studies, and english language and literature! you wouldn't think there would be many overlaps- but there sure were paha. we did a whole project on coppola's dracula film in film studies and then studied the novel dracula in english.
Original post by Starrytillymae
i took law, film studies, and english language and literature! you wouldn't think there would be many overlaps- but there sure were paha. we did a whole project on coppola's dracula film in film studies and then studied the novel dracula in english.

how did you find lit&lang? the schools i want to apply for don't do combined so i'm leaning towards lit since i reckon it's more valuable for universities and i want to do law. what are you doing now? i'm just a bit stressed haha i appreciate your replies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending