The Student Room Group

Should I drop out of sixth form for an apprenticeship

I’ve just started the second year of my A-levels doing maths economics and photography. I’ve realised that I don’t actually like these subjects and am doing it just to please my parents and im not planning on going to uni whatsoever. after sixth form i was going to do an apprenticeship in vehicle mechanics but have just looked up that the cut-off date for applications are end of october, to start in novemeber. should i drop out of alevels this year and continue doing what im going to do after anyways now or should i finish off the year. i understand alevels would help in getting jobs but i dont plan on getting any jobs that require alevels and my gcses are sufficient enough.
Reply 1
CONTINUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING

Don't let the first year go to waste even a C or a B is better than nothing it may help out you get ahead of someone else, imagine you getting those a level Vs you without any a level, drop out in a job situation why would they choose the second option when they have a safer first option?

Doing A Levels isn't just about grade, but commitment and learning which you can demonstrate to companies.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by os.slr
I’ve just started the second year of my A-levels doing maths economics and photography. I’ve realised that I don’t actually like these subjects and am doing it just to please my parents and im not planning on going to uni whatsoever. after sixth form i was going to do an apprenticeship in vehicle mechanics but have just looked up that the cut-off date for applications are end of october, to start in novemeber. should i drop out of alevels this year and continue doing what im going to do after anyways now or should i finish off the year. i understand alevels would help in getting jobs but i dont plan on getting any jobs that require alevels and my gcses are sufficient enough.

Really look into the detail of that apprenticeship.How well does it pay.Does it end in a formal qualification?Does it lead to the offer of a real job?
Also how are you doing in your Alevels?Could you finish and do the apprenticeship next year?Think long term not short term but if apprenticeship is decent then only you can really decide what is best for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending