The Student Room Group

Zoology at university

I am very interested in zoology (specifically ecology and ethology) but do not quite know where would be best to apply.
Reply 1
Original post by Oliver Ross
I am very interested in zoology (specifically ecology and ethology) but do not quite know where would be best to apply.

Hi Oliver my daughter has finished year 13 and has applied. She has chosen a mix of Zoology and also animal behaviour.
Depending on your grades you can go to the likes of manchester, but they do like you to take a second hard science such as physics or chemistry. My daughter does not have that, she has biology psychology and geography, so her other two are classed as softer sciences which is acceptable to a lot of unis.

Some zoology courses will have things like biochemistry in there but pretty much all of them will have like ecology module for sure.
if you go to a website called What uni, you can put in zoology and find out which unis do them, and then by visiting the unis website you can see a break down of the course year by year and whats involved.

Daughters 5 was
Bangor Zoology with animal behaviour (they do straight zoology too) BBB
Lincoln - zoology - BBB (got unconditional)
Reading zoology BBB (got BBD offer)
Chester animal behaviour (they do zoology too) BBC - she got offered BCC
Lancaster - Zoology ABB

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7074681&p=98623279&page=4#post98623279 I did a blog on TSR of the open days and her lead up to results day (this august) so its worth checking it out as its got pics on there and waht we did on the open days.
Reply 2
Thank you very much for your response. I'll do some reading up on this.
Reply 3
Original post by Oliver Ross
Thank you very much for your response. I'll do some reading up on this.

Oh yes most definitely. Each uni is unique. Like Lancaster is close to the lakes so you have your wildlife there. Bangor and Exeter are by the coast and is helpful to studying marine wildlife. Chester for Chester zoo, Readings got its own wildlife on campus as it has its own lake and apiary. Lincoln we went to the animal bahviour and welfare talk (we missed the zoology) but they have a farm where the students help out with the lambing season. Other unis like Hartpury, Worcester, swansea, Aberystwyth,manchester, theres lots of places that do it. You might need to consider if you want a big city uni or more happier in a large town/town environment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending