The Student Room Group

Severe anxiety

I'm suffering from a severe case of generalised and social anxiety and its impossible to do anything about and everyone around me is clueless,im certain that my life is doomed.

Is there truly nothing i can do?
Hi! I feel you. I was diagnosed with GAD five years ago. This year is especially hard for me due to several reasons, I think it became a bit worse than the last couple of years. However, in general I am now able to live with it, effectively cope most of the time.
First of all, when you grow older it becomes easier to handle your emotions. I am turning 26 in July and I certainly feel how wider my emotional range became over the years.
Second, I strongly recommend you to seek professional help. Nothing helps better than a good therapist and a proper pharmacology treatment. Although pharma is optional, sometimes it is very helpful when you’re simply exhausted with anxiety and unable to handle it. It’s not scary at all, I was taking it for a couple of years and I am still the same person. Psychotherapy is important and essential from my point of view, because pharma doesn’t cure you, just makes you more efficient. So on pharma you can start therapy and learn how to cope better.
I truly hope you’re going to feel better soon! Although it might seem endless and drowning, it’s not forever, trust me.
Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or need some support!
Reply 2
Original post by sstteeffffyy
Hi! I feel you. I was diagnosed with GAD five years ago. This year is especially hard for me due to several reasons, I think it became a bit worse than the last couple of years. However, in general I am now able to live with it, effectively cope most of the time.
First of all, when you grow older it becomes easier to handle your emotions. I am turning 26 in July and I certainly feel how wider my emotional range became over the years.
Second, I strongly recommend you to seek professional help. Nothing helps better than a good therapist and a proper pharmacology treatment. Although pharma is optional, sometimes it is very helpful when you’re simply exhausted with anxiety and unable to handle it. It’s not scary at all, I was taking it for a couple of years and I am still the same person. Psychotherapy is important and essential from my point of view, because pharma doesn’t cure you, just makes you more efficient. So on pharma you can start therapy and learn how to cope better.
I truly hope you’re going to feel better soon! Although it might seem endless and drowning, it’s not forever, trust me.
Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or need some support!

Thats something ive realised about having these issues, its like a loop, get anxiety then cant do anything want to make it go away that requires lots of effort and talking to people and doing new things wich is simply impossible, i am stuck
Original post by Anonymous
Thats something ive realised about having these issues, its like a loop, get anxiety then cant do anything want to make it go away that requires lots of effort and talking to people and doing new things wich is simply impossible, i am stuck

Oh, that sounds a lot like a downward spiral of depressive disorders. Usually performing some simple and satisfying activities help. It can even be something very simple like sitting outside instead of sitting inside. If you are into reading I’d suggest some self-help books, for example Robert Leahy or David Burns.
Reply 4
You can get support and there is a lot of support out there such as:

-The Samaritans, you can call 116 123, which is available 24 hours a day

-Mind, 0300 123 3393

-Saneline, 0300 304 7000, from 4.30pm-10.30pm

-The mix, 0800 808 4994, 11am-11pm

-SHOUT, text 852258, 24 hour text service

-Crises, 741741, text service

-Papyrus, 0800 068 4141, if you have thoughts of suicide or in emotional distress

-Rethink mental health, 0300 5000 927

-No Panic, 0800 138 8889

-relate, they have a chat advisor

There is the mind forum

Also Facebook groups

You can join support groups

You can contact a crises team if things get very bad

Plenty of resources online, information regarding well being
Reply 5
Social skills:

Be open, relaxed, approachable, friendly, lighten up

0) You can try nlp exercises, meditation, breathing techniques, visualisation. You can read books on this subject and there is a wealth of resources on the internet, youtube regarding this subject.

1) Relax, imagine you're just observing or there as a traveller. For example, if you are on holiday, you go there to experience and observe the attraction, you're not going to get anxious doing that are you?

2) Smile, smiling in contagious.

3) Be confident, respect yourself, accept yourself, work out, wear good clothes, feel good, focus on your passions, know you are a good person who treats people well, you have got as much right as everyone else.

Think positively, be proud of yourself, do things that make you happy, remember your happy times, what makes you confident? What makes you proud? Do you have a skill you are good at? Do things like cooking, driving, learning that increases your confidence daily. Relax.

Have good posture, body language, improve your appearance. Be happy with yourself.

4) Dress well, have good grooming, hairstyle, have good posture.

5) Just say hi or hey to people in your vicinity, who cares if they don't say anything back?

6) Ask how they are, how's everything, how's it going, what's the latest, what made them choose this course, their plans for the future, their plans for the rest of the day, weekend, how was their weekend, their day, what they will get up to, what they got up to, ask them about their hobbies, talk about what's happening. You could read up on current affairs.

Talk about the weather or did you see that sports game? Just mingle with them,

Compliment them, say "I like your jacket".

If you know they went on a holiday or somewhere, ask them about it etc.

7) Be passionate about life.

8) In group discussions, relax and talk to someone close or if someone says something you know, you can talk then. Stay relaxed.

9) Lighten up, have a laugh, laugh easily, be friendly, approachable, interested, relaxed.

10) You can write things down and come up with a rational reframed response, keep a journal of your thoughts, reach out to people slowly
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I'm suffering from a severe case of generalised and social anxiety and its impossible to do anything about and everyone around me is clueless,im certain that my life is doomed.

Is there truly nothing i can do?

There are most definitely things you can do, so there is hope! CBT can be very helpful for GAD and social anxiety, so it could be worth speaking to your GP and getting a referral for talking therapy. Alternatively, the book, "Overcoming Worry" is a great resource, as is "Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness" if you want to try a self-help approach. I use both of these books in my work with clients and find them very useful.
Reply 7
Some of these things are helpful and have given me bursts of happiness in the past like building up enough motivation to work out for a few minutes but its very difficult to keep the momentum of having been motivated or to become so again. Others things like signing up to a GP and having therapy, i dont know how im going to do that. I suppose i should try the reading resources, if it is as effective as mentioned then it should be the simplest place to start with the least change in routines and such.

thanks ill see if this works
Reply 8
Original post by sstteeffffyy
Oh, that sounds a lot like a downward spiral of depressive disorders. Usually performing some simple and satisfying activities help. It can even be something very simple like sitting outside instead of sitting inside. If you are into reading I’d suggest some self-help books, for example Robert Leahy or David Burns.

i really want to clean my room or work out or see my friends
i havent done these things in months, though at least i hoover my room about once a week, everything is so hard

Quick Reply

Latest