The Student Room Group

De-banked for expressing alternative social views

Scroll to see replies

Original post by patery
the top 0.01% in the USA votes democratic HEAVILY

so if you are saying that all bankers are right wing then why would they shut down farage if not for the fact that they fear reprucutions for allowing him to have an account

because reputation is paramount

who cares most about reputation of everything including there bank and how the media portrays them?

The bank said that it was not in their financial interest to keep Farage as a customer, both due to the amount of wealth he has (or lack thereof) and dodgy connections. Basically he is too poor and a risk to them.
Reply 81
Original post by Napp
Where did you get that percentage from?

NY times article in 2015 on the subject, I would imagine the trend has only continued as the republicans are increasingly less accepted in the main stream and seen as something that you should not support and those who care most about reputation would actively avoid supporting
Original post by patery
NY times article in 2015 on the subject, I would imagine the trend has only continued as the republicans are increasingly less accepted in the main stream and seen as something that you should not support and those who care most about reputation would actively avoid supporting

Unless you can actually link the article, you may as well have made that up.

The reality is that a lot of the extremely wealthy in the US donate heavily to both the DNC and RNC - specifically those politicians in districts they want to have them win because they will put in place or support policies which protect their own interests.

It's also important to understand that the US has no effective left wing political movement. In any other country the DNC would be considered a centre-right party - similar to a lot of conservative party policies in the UK. In general US politics is completely governed by the ratchet effect - the RNC will put in place increasingly right wing policies while in power, and then when the DNC gets power they will not revoke any of those but will simply not put in place any further right wing policies, in an attempt at "bipartisanship". Then the RNC will get power again and move things further to the right.

Also your assertion about it not being mainstream is completely inaccurate - maybe for LA and NYC and similar areas. If you go to the panhandle of Florida, Orange County California, anywhere in South Carolina, etc, etc, you will find the RNC is very much the mainstream.

If you aren't familiar with US politics I'm not sure why you're using it as an example at all.
Reply 83
Original post by artful_lounger
Unless you can actually link the article, you may as well have made that up.

The reality is that a lot of the extremely wealthy in the US donate heavily to both the DNC and RNC - specifically those politicians in districts they want to have them win because they will put in place or support policies which protect their own interests.

It's also important to understand that the US has no effective left wing political movement. In any other country the DNC would be considered a centre-right party - similar to a lot of conservative party policies in the UK. In general US politics is completely governed by the ratchet effect - the RNC will put in place increasingly right wing policies while in power, and then when the DNC gets power they will not revoke any of those but will simply not put in place any further right wing policies, in an attempt at "bipartisanship". Then the RNC will get power again and move things further to the right.

Also your assertion about it not being mainstream is completely inaccurate - maybe for LA and NYC and similar areas. If you go to the panhandle of Florida, Orange County California, anywhere in South Carolina, etc, etc, you will find the RNC is very much the mainstream.

If you aren't familiar with US politics I'm not sure why you're using it as an example at all.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/07/opinion/how-did-the-democrats-become-favorites-of-the-rich.html

It's a 2 party system so of course the centre normally wins, there is a left wing movement I mean Bernie Sanders & AOC exist and Biden despite being a centrist has leaned into a lot of left wing policies, particularly regarding the environment and electric cars which is likely to cost 170,000 jobs

Yes you're right, but most of the 0.01% are in NYC / SF / LA etc etc

I agree that they are more accepted in those areas and particularly Florida and its acceptance of Desantis policies and overwhelming support for them is an interesting case study for a state that voted twice for obama to then back desantis by 20 points is notable
Reply 84
Original post by patery

Would you be kind enough to share said link?
suffice it to say, i imagine a bit has changed since then. not least the sanity of the respective parties.
Reply 85
Original post by Napp
Would you be kind enough to share said link?
suffice it to say, i imagine a bit has changed since then. not least the sanity of the respective parties.

posted it in the post right above

I imagine it has, likely shifted more democratic as Trump appeals to the working class (particularly men and particularly white) like no other candidate but also as he isn't as polished as more establishment guys like Biden, Clinton or a Jeb Bush which turns off some of the more "higher class, elite" people as he is more of a radical candidate whether you like him or not

Obviously it could change but I can only see it changing back to republicans in 2024 is if the democrats nominate Kennedy and the republicans nominate a candidate which isn't Trump or Desantis

(For the record my preferred guy is Kennedy)
Reply 86
Original post by patery
posted it in the post right above

I imagine it has, likely shifted more democratic as Trump appeals to the working class (particularly men and particularly white) like no other candidate but also as he isn't as polished as more establishment guys like Biden, Clinton or a Jeb Bush which turns off some of the more "higher class, elite" people as he is more of a radical candidate whether you like him or not

Obviously it could change but I can only see it changing back to republicans in 2024 is if the democrats nominate Kennedy and the republicans nominate a candidate which isn't Trump or Desantis

(For the record my preferred guy is Kennedy)

Ta :smile:

Id be interested to see a new poll done as i cant really see it. By and large the democrats give off the impression about being incredibly anti-business/law and order etc (look at the mess theyve created in the big cities these days). Conversely, thats not to say republicans are 'better' as opposed to fialing in other ways.

Apropos Biden, the most disliked president in history, the recent polling on him (and comments from his own party) do not paint a good picture. Who knows, maybe if they pull their fingers out of their arses and ditch the geriatric and sideline the revolutionary "progressives" (god thats an ironic term) they might actually get somewhere and beat Trump.

He's an interesting one, pulling in a record amount of red funding.. albeit just to screw with the democrats writ large i imagine but still. Personally i prefer De Santis, despite some of his dubious policies a remarkably able politician.
Reply 87
Original post by Napp
Ta :smile:

Id be interested to see a new poll done as i cant really see it. By and large the democrats give off the impression about being incredibly anti-business/law and order etc (look at the mess theyve created in the big cities these days). Conversely, thats not to say republicans are 'better' as opposed to fialing in other ways.

Apropos Biden, the most disliked president in history, the recent polling on him (and comments from his own party) do not paint a good picture. Who knows, maybe if they pull their fingers out of their arses and ditch the geriatric and sideline the revolutionary "progressives" (god thats an ironic term) they might actually get somewhere and beat Trump.

He's an interesting one, pulling in a record amount of red funding.. albeit just to screw with the democrats writ large i imagine but still. Personally i prefer De Santis, despite some of his dubious policies a remarkably able politician.

my issue with desantis is he is an uncharismatic Trump who as the primary drags on is becoming increasingly no more electable

his policy is literally the same and maybe he has better execution of those policies.

For me my favorities in order are :

1. Kennedy
2. Vivek
3. Trump
4. Tim Scott
Could we keep the thread on topic so it doesn’t need to be cleaned up please.
Reply 89
Original post by Admit-One
Having worked for a big bank, we 100% dropped customers who weren't doing something illegal but were sketchy or not something we wanted to be associated with.

We didn't wait 8 years to do it though :smile:

Which bank was that?
Original post by olddurro
Which bank was that?

HSBC
Yes, I am wary of resurrecting this thread but there have been a couple of interesting developments this week.

On Monday, the BBC apologised to Farage over the reporting of his bank account closure. The reporter involved stated that the information they received (presumably from someone at Coutts) was "incomplete and inaccurate". Unless I've missed it, it doesn't actually state was was inaccurate about it, or where contradictory information has come from.

So far, so 'own goal for the beeb'.

However, there is a copy of the Coutts 40 page dossier on Farage floating around, (I've skimmed it, it looks legit, I'm not going to link to it or directly quote from it here, although there is a brief summary on twitter). And the long and short of it is... it confirms everything about the decision that was originally reported, (save that the bank was also factoring in the potential for reputational risk depending on Farage's behaviour, and they would have to monitor that). They summarise his risks as a customer as being reputational (ongoing if they keep him), financial crime ("alleged" Russia connections), and more reputational risk if they exit the relationship with him, (exactly what I said 3 weeks ago).

So fundamentally I'm not sure what the beeb are apologising for.
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/bbc-apologises-to-farage-finally/

BBC

The information on which we based our reporting on Nigel Farage and his bank accounts came from a trusted and senior source. However the information turned out to be incomplete and inaccurate. Therefore I would like to apologise to Mr Farage.

It's not the first time the BBC promotes online misinformation- inaccurate-incomplete piece of news--

Nigel Farage

Well, well, well. The BBC’s Business Editor Simon Jack has fully apologised to me publicly and I thank him for that. It’s not often that the BBC apologise. I’ve also got a letter I’ve just received from Deborah Turness at the BBC and I’m going to absorb it and talk more about that at 7 o’clock tonight on GB News. But for the BBC to apologise, I’m very, very pleased. Jack says in the tweet that his information came from a trusted and senior source. I would suggest it may well have been a very senior source.

It's good to find this senior source--

According to the Spectator and other online sources-
Nigel Farage had his account at Coutts closed- because of his political beliefs- Coutts is a bank owned by NatWest-

Farage's views- 'are not compatible with Coutts as an inclusive organisation’ --

Key Word: Inclusive

If you go woke you will go broke--

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66288464

https://news.sky.com/story/nigel-farage-bbc-apologises-over-inaccurate-report-on-coutts-bank-account-closure-12926766

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/nigel-farage-coutts-bank-account-trump-ukip-brexit-b1095233.html
What about the person from the bank who apparently was the source of this info?
She wrote a groveling apology saying she made a serious error of judgment.
Things don't look good for Dame Alison Rose.
NF has accused her of not being up to her job and should go
Dame Rose will likely to forced to resign soon.
Reply 97
There was a time when companies were "bottom up", policies were led by "grass-roots" demand from their customer base.
Now they have become "top down", trying to dictate to customers what they should comply with.
The number of turns this story’s taken…not even a rollercoaster could make me feel more sick.
This should be illegal. Alison Rose needs to step aside.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending