The Student Room Group

I'm confused really

Currently I'm supposed to choose a English university course and I'm not quite sure on which course is best suited for me. I'm an artistic person by nature but I'm looking for a course that can ensure that I have a decent paying job in the future.
There is a number of degrees you can take that will allow you to connect with your artistic nature whilst opening doors for the opportunity of a good job. These degrees, other than a straight art degree, (depending on what kind of artistic expression you wish to pursue) could include:

-> Advertising. Art can be utilised in advertising in a number of ways. Studying advertising at university will give you the qualifications you need to work at an established agency. Art can be used in advertising campaigns in a diverse range of ways.
-> Marketing. Much like advertising, marketing, especially social media marketing, uses art to create unique and memorable campaigns to push a product. This allows you to express your artistic nature in a variety of ways depending on what you are looking to create/push.
-> Fashion Design. The design of haute couture fashion specifically is considered to be one of the most abstract artistic expressions. Examples can include Coco Chanel, Jean Paul Gaultier, Gianni Versace, Hubert de Givenchy, and Yves Saint Laurent. Fashion in all forms is a type of art, which may interest you, and may be worthwhile researching.
-> Graphic Design. Graphic design can provide you a gateway into numerous jobs, as any company with any sort of branding is going to need a graphic designer. This is once again a degree option which can open doors and allow you to stay in touch with your artistic nature.
-> Animation. This option allows you to explore the manipulation of both physical and digital materials to create moving pieces of art. Animation has one of the most diverse range of options for ways to express your art. For example, you could create a clay model, and animate it. You could paint a piece of fine art, and bring it to life with animation. The list and options are endless.

I hope some of these ideas are helpful 🙂
Reply 2
Original post by spera
Currently I'm supposed to choose a English university course and I'm not quite sure on which course is best suited for me. I'm an artistic person by nature but I'm looking for a course that can ensure that I have a decent paying job in the future.

Would I reflect what you have just said. Why are you supposed to pick English? Is it your destiny or has someone told you that is what you should do?

For me, if you are not sure what to pick, why not take some time out of education. Get a job, get some perspective, see the big picture and reflect on who you are. Then you can choose the right degree course.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending