The Student Room Group

Police Now National Detective Scheme 2024 Intake

Anyone here had a conditional offer to join the Police Now National Detective Scheme 2024 Intake?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ItTakesItsTroll2
You guys smell bacon ?

dont get it
Reply 2
You’ll make a great cop .

nah probably better thn u
n stop flexin yh
me serious i tbh aint get it
Reply 3
If you understood my first post , you would also understand how ridiculous your post above just is.

You most certainly would be better than me. Hahaha

oh
i thought u were sarcastic
guess not every might be bright all the time
i am stressed cause got my maths end of year exam and i aint revised
its on friday
Reply 4
Original post by graceolivia2001
Anyone here had a conditional offer to join the Police Now National Detective Scheme 2024 Intake?

I’ve had a stand by offer. Had digital assessment/interview last week followed by feedback 4 days later and a request to book a call,. Fingers crossed it changes into a conditional offer
Reply 5

I received a conditional offer a couple weeks ago.
Reply 6
Original post by Hannah835
I received a conditional offer a couple weeks ago.

When did you do your assessment centre?
Reply 7
June 14th in the afternoon. I got a call from my recruitment officer two weeks later.
Reply 8
Original post by SW2001x
Yehhhh I’ve got my feedback report back too but that’s all so far - hard to gauge by the feedback whether it was positive or not

Mine was the same, I was sure I hadn't passed. I think it's just one of those things that are hard to guage but hopefully you'll hear soon
Reply 9
PN is such a swizz. Now that there is graduate requirement for all police officers, I don't even know why it still exists.

If you want to be a detective asap, there's no reason not to join the force you want directly. The benefits of doing that are:

1. You definitely get the force you want. On PN, you risk getting a different force, which could be a nightmare in terms of travel or accomodation. In 2024, there are only 8 forces taking part in PN for detectives and nothing at all in the entire East of England.
2. PN is on an accelerated timeline. This is too quick for the kind of work that detectives do. I highly doubt you will see a single one of your cases get to court during the length of the programme.
3. If you join a force directly, you are attested and paid from your first day of training. On PN, before you start, you are given dozens of hours of training to do in your own time, and unpaid.
4. There's no benefit to the graduate programme as such. There's no reason not to do two years and then quit when it's best for you, rather than being held to their timeline.
5. The graduate diploma you work for isn't worth jack. It's the worst of all worlds criminology and management modules.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Trinculo
PN is such a swizz. Now that there is graduate requirement for all police officers, I don't even know why it still exists.

If you want to be a detective asap, there's no reason not to join the force you want directly. The benefits of doing that are:

1. You definitely get the force you want. On PN, you risk getting a different force, which could be a nightmare in terms of travel or accomodation. In 2024, there are only 8 forces taking part in PN for detectives and nothing at all in the entire East of England.
2. PN is on an accelerated timeline. This is too quick for the kind of work that detectives do. I highly doubt you will see a single one of your cases get to court during the length of the programme.
3. If you join a force directly, you are attested and paid from your first day of training. On PN, before you start, you are given dozens of hours of training to do in your own time, and unpaid.
4. There's no benefit to the graduate programme as such. There's no reason not to do two years and then quit when it's best for you, rather than being held to their timeline.
5. The graduate diploma you work for isn't worth jack. It's the worst of all worlds criminology and management modules.

so u saying there is no point joining the PN force ????
Reply 11
Original post by JF ZAK
so u saying there is no point joining the PN force ????

No, what I'm saying is that a lot of people don't actually understand what PN is. I've actually met people who have joined via PN thinking it was the norm and found it to be sub-optimal for them.

PN was the OG national Police Graduate scheme, and predates the degree requirement for police officers. It is a national scheme, not specific to any one force, and every year forces decide if they want to take part in PN or not - and you can only join the forces that are participating the year you do it. So if you want to join Essex, and they aren't participating - tough luck.

PN is an accelerated course, so instead of doing the 17 weeks or whatever it now is, you do 7 weeks (more for detectives) and that's it - you do a quick street duties course and you're straight on borough. It has always been done at University as far as I know, has longer days and much more intensive learning. To make up for the shortfall, you have to do a lot of the classroom content on your own time, unpaid, before the course starts.

The upsides of PN used to be that it was the only proper graduate programme, and it would get you into the police quickly, so that you could do two years, see if you liked it and hopefully stay. There was ongoing protected learning time and additional training during the two years.

Nowadays, you have to have a degree to join and all forces have a Graduate programme that has more or less the same features as PN, but with full-length training, so that nothing is rushed and you are paid for all your training and nothing is passed to you to do for free. Also, if you join a force - you are guaranteed to get the force you want.

For the PCs, they say that it's about leadership and future leaders - I don't know anyone that went through PN that is in a better position for promotion than anyone who went through a regular route. It also used to be the case that PCs on PN had to go to SNT (neighbourhoods policing) and not response team. This doesn't suit everyone, some people want the fast driving and running around, and SNT has its own particular challenges. For the DCs on PN, I think it just exacerbates the issues that Direct Entry Detectives have by making their process even shorter and reducing further the practical experience they have before starting as detectives.

TL;DR : I just don't see what the point of PN is any more. They're offering no tangible benefit and a lot of drawbacks.
Reply 12
Original post by SW2001x
Update: Just received an offer this morning :smile:

Congratulations that's amazing!
Reply 13
congrats
u will make the best officer
i hope
#kidding
u will be great
Hi guys I have my assessment centre on 2nd august. Any tips on how to pass?
Reply 15
Original post by jajenenwnaan

do a lot of prep it will help alot
u dont do enough or a significant amount of prep for exam then u ll find it difficult and u will have a blank head
and will regret not doin prep
so yh to summarize do prep
JF ZAK
Reply 16
Original post by jajenenwnaan

Hopefully you have been able to go to the pre- Assessment Centre briefings, as they were very helpful.

Think about the competencies and potential examples you may wish to use.
Reply 17
Anyone from an August assessment center received an outcome yet?

Had an offer to join heard back after 2 working days to start March
I have had my feedback this afternoon! How long after feed back did you get your offer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending