The Student Room Group

How should I prepare for IELTS?

I already did the CAE and achieved Grade B, would have got Grade A if I hadn't been so bad at Writing (I think this was partly due to the topic I had to write about).
Now I am taking IELTS next week and I haven't prepared so far.
How should I prepare? Especially for the Writing? I need to achieve at least 7.0 in each component and I am taking the Academic version.
I also haven't got much time this week because I am quite busy with school exams.
Is it difficult to get 7.0 in IELTS?
Reply 1
Original post by scblx
I already did the CAE and achieved Grade B, would have got Grade A if I hadn't been so bad at Writing (I think this was partly due to the topic I had to write about).
Now I am taking IELTS next week and I haven't prepared so far.
How should I prepare? Especially for the Writing? I need to achieve at least 7.0 in each component and I am taking the Academic version.
I also haven't got much time this week because I am quite busy with school exams.
Is it difficult to get 7.0 in IELTS?

Sup mate, I took Academic IELTS on june and got 8.5, with 7.0 in writing. A couple years ago I scored Grade B in CAE so I was more or less in the same situation as you (applying to Cambridge maybe?)
I will tell you that IELTS is way more easy than CAE or CPE in terms of prep needed. Just watch videos in youtube so that you memorize the structure or the speaking section which is slightly different than CAE's speaking, and you'll be safe. Listening and reading won't pose problem (do a few past papers because in reading section there is a Yes / No / Not given question, which can be a little bit trickier than the rest, but nothing to really worry about).

Lastly, be sure to read lots and lots of essays, that is the best way to prepare for the writing section that in my opinion is the hardest if you want to score more than 7.5. Take a look to this http://www.ielts-blog.com/category/ielts-writing-samples/ielts-essays-band-8/ it was really helpful to me as it has comments on it. Remember there are two structures for the essays, depending on how the formulate the topic/question: you can either start by stating your opinion regarding the topic that has been proposed, or just introduce the topic without showing what your position is, leaving it for the final paragraph. This will change the way you introduce your arguments in favor/against too.

I don't know if you have improved your english since you took the CAE, but anyway I'm sure you'll do fine, just be confident and relaxed the day before the test.
Reply 2
Original post by feracero
Sup mate, I took Academic IELTS on june and got 8.5, with 7.0 in writing. A couple years ago I scored Grade B in CAE so I was more or less in the same situation as you (applying to Cambridge maybe?)
I will tell you that IELTS is way more easy than CAE or CPE in terms of prep needed. Just watch videos in youtube so that you memorize the structure or the speaking section which is slightly different than CAE's speaking, and you'll be safe. Listening and reading won't pose problem (do a few past papers because in reading section there is a Yes / No / Not given question, which can be a little bit trickier than the rest, but nothing to really worry about).

Lastly, be sure to read lots and lots of essays, that is the best way to prepare for the writing section that in my opinion is the hardest if you want to score more than 7.5. Take a look to this http://www.ielts-blog.com/category/ielts-writing-samples/ielts-essays-band-8/ it was really helpful to me as it has comments on it. Remember there are two structures for the essays, depending on how the formulate the topic/question: you can either start by stating your opinion regarding the topic that has been proposed, or just introduce the topic without showing what your position is, leaving it for the final paragraph. This will change the way you introduce your arguments in favor/against too.

I don't know if you have improved your english since you took the CAE, but anyway I'm sure you'll do fine, just be confident and relaxed the day before the test.

I already watched the Speaking videos and I think it is even easier than the CAE speaking because you do not need to interact with another candidate
Thank you for all the advice :smile: I will start real preparation on Wednesday
No I am not applying to Cambridge but I am applying to Oxford (PPE :smile: ) Are you applying to Cambridge?
Reply 3
Original post by scblx
I already watched the Speaking videos and I think it is even easier than the CAE speaking because you do not need to interact with another candidate
Thank you for all the advice :smile: I will start real preparation on Wednesday
No I am not applying to Cambridge but I am applying to Oxford (PPE :smile: ) Are you applying to Cambridge?

Thats exactly my opinion, it is much easier to talk by yourself. Yes I have applied to Cambridge for Engineering, and received an interview just yesterday
Reply 4
Hey, I am also taking IELTS in december for my application for university in scotland. I'm from germany.
I don't really have difficulties in reading and listening and with some extra material I can also practise writing quite well (at least I hope so..) but I am not very confident about the speaking part. How did you prepare for the speaking part? Did you prepare for it anyway?
I'm so nervous :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by maddi-p
Hey, I am also taking IELTS in december for my application for university in scotland. I'm from germany.
I don't really have difficulties in reading and listening and with some extra material I can also practise writing quite well (at least I hope so..) but I am not very confident about the speaking part. How did you prepare for the speaking part? Did you prepare for it anyway?
I'm so nervous :s-smilie:

Mmm actually the speaking part is the one I didn't prepare at all, basically because my spoken english is quite good (I have american cousins and friends)
Anyway, I recommend you to actually listen in order to enhance your spoken fluently, basically because you'll hear how people who speak english modulate their voice and stuff... so for example change the language in your tv to english if possible, or try to watch your favorite tv series in english. Also, I have seen prospective exam takers actually arrange mock speaking parts through Skype, go and check http://www.ielts-blog.com because lots of people do that there.
Hope to have helped
Reply 6
Write a lot on TSR. I had 7.5 (8;8.5;6.5;6.5) two years ago, now I have 8.5 (8.5;8.5;8;8). :biggrin:
Reply 7
I ended up getting 8.0 and I am kind of disappointed that I was so nervous at speaking and therefore messed this up.
I had 9.0 Listening 9.0 Reading 7.5 Writing 7.0 Speaking
And I also did not much preparation so for anyone finding this thread: it's not that difficult :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I suggest the best thing one can do is make a study plan and stick to it. I would recommend you to take several important steps.Find out whether you need IELTS Academic or General TrainingFind out what band score you need for your visaTake a practice test to find out what your current English level is in terms of the IELTS scaleThen familiarise yourself with the test format, task types and assessment criteria. There are plenty of online resources where you’ll find useful tips. For example,Quora (you can easily find the most viewed writers in the categories connected with IELTS and IELTS preparation)ielts-simon.comhttp://ielts-liz.comhttps://www.ieltsidpindia.com/information/ielts-preparationhttp://ielts-mentor.com (a lot of good reading passages)IELTS Speaking Assistant | Facebook (IELTS vocabulary and several articles dedicated to writing; BTW written by me)5. Start doing IELTS practice tests. If you have plenty of time (at least 2 months), I would recommend you to start with the aspect you are weak at. Thus, you’ll have more time to improve your skills. First, do only listening for 2 or 3 weeks, then writing. After that practise IELTS reading for several more weeks. The thing is that your skills develop faster when you do the same activity for a long time. When the exam date is nigh, start doing full tests.LISTENING
Reply 9
There's loads of different ways to prepare, there is this useful website as well which has free resources, and also provides a mock exam which will be fully graded via the marking criteria of the official IELTS test. I highly recommend this for anyone who will sit the IELTS. http://geniustuition.uk/IELTS.html
*ATTENTION TO ALL THE IELTS CANDIDATES*After so many analysis we have noticed candidates taking ielts have several problem scoring their desired band scores in all the exams after so many attempts. We are here for you to assist you get your desired band scores and be successful for in life. *Note:* What ever your personality inbox us for assistance for previous and upcoming exams Now*WhatsApp:* 1(808) 800-0918
Hey, I took my IELTS test just awhile ago at big ben academy, and they offered me guidance right from the start till the end of my course and here I have some tips to share with you on the preparations of IELTS.

First off, guide your study by first identifying your shortcomings by taking a practice exam. This is a crucial step in your preliminary planning that will assist identify your strengths and shortcomings. To lay a strong foundation for the exam, it is equally important to build on your strengths and to strengthen your areas of weakness.

It is crucial that you are aware of the exam format before you start preparing. Review the test's subject matter and the question and task formats for each section to become familiar with it. Remember that familiarity with the test format and pattern is essential for success in any exam, not just the IELTS. You will be prepared for the IELTS test's pace because all preparation in preparatory course lessons is done under the same time constraints as the exam.

Combine exam preparation with as much language exposure as you can. Reading online periodicals or blogs that you find interesting in English might be a fantastic place to start. Every day, write some English in your journal, blog, or correspondence with online acquaintances who share your interests, such as those in a Facebook group. Listen to native speakers conversing, and if you can, participate in. Try using the "shadowing" method. This entails repeating in English what was just said. Stress management, intonation, and pronunciation will all benefit.

However, if you find it difficult to avoid these errors or are unable to recognize them clearly, you need a professional on your side. As it focuses only on getting you exam-ready for IELTS, most test-takers think about enrolling in an IELTS preparation course, one of the simplest methods to approach the test.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 12
Practice is key to success. People who want to crack the IELTS exam must do a lot of practice for each module in the IELTS.
To have the right guidance in the IELTS preparation it is equally important to choose a reputed, certified, and the best IELTS institute in India or your nearby location.
The four modules of IELTS have some level of difficulty that needs to be understood. Only professional trainers can help students to get good scores in IELTS. There is no pass and fail in the IELTS. So only good scores matter.
This 7 steps will help you please check this.

Take a practice test.
Understand the test format.
Be aware of the exam time constraints.
Develop your English capabilities and IELTS strategies.
Multitask when listening in English.
Develop a wide range of reading skills.
Use appropriate and assertive English terms when writing.
I would highly recommend to check VIEC <a href=
This is for all applicants, hope you find it useful!
IELTS comes up a lot when applying to univeristies. IELTS and TOEFL are the two major English Language Tests that are widely accepted by univeristies in the UK and USA. Before you start, please check which test is required by your choice of institutions.
For IELTS Academic:
To answer the original question, no it is not difficult to get a 7.0 in IELTS with some preparation. Most universities have a minimum requirement of 6.0-7.0, but some courses such as Medicine might require a higher score so always check with the uni.
Top Tips -
1. Begin by familiarising yourself with the test format and the different sections of IELTS. In many cases it is not the knowledge but the time and the unfamiliarity with the tasks, that brings down your scores.
2. Try the sample questions on the official website to gauge your level prior to preparation and booking a test date. This will help you realise how much prep and time you may need to devote to IELTS.
3. Do the official practice test offered on the website https://www.ielts.org/for-test-takers/how-to-prepare/ielts-progress-check
4. Utilise all the practice materials offered by IELTS and at the following link https://www.cambridge.org/gb/cambridgeenglish/catalog/cambridge-english-exams-ielts/official-ielts-practice-materials-2/official-ielts-practice-materials-2-dvd?format=WW&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=website&utm_campaign=ielts%20official&utm_content=how_to_prepare
5. IMPORTANT - Beware of online and in person training/coaching scams. It is useful to seek professional help to prepare for these exams if English is not a language taught in school, but please do not hand over money to companies that guarantee a certain score or are not recognised.
6. You do not require specific subject knowledge, you should be able to read, write and speak English proficiently so that you can understand your course content at university. So do not worry about reading literature, focus on grammar and speech.
For more information refer to the official website -https://www.ielts.org/
All The Best!
Ruchika Yadav - Swansea Student Ambassador - 3rd year Graduate Entry Medicine

Quick Reply

Latest