Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I already did the CAE and achieved Grade B, would have got Grade A if I hadn't been so bad at Writing (I think this was partly due to the topic I had to write about).
    Now I am taking IELTS next week and I haven't prepared so far.
    How should I prepare? Especially for the Writing? I need to achieve at least 7.0 in each component and I am taking the Academic version.
    I also haven't got much time this week because I am quite busy with school exams.
    Is it difficult to get 7.0 in IELTS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scblx)
    I already did the CAE and achieved Grade B, would have got Grade A if I hadn't been so bad at Writing (I think this was partly due to the topic I had to write about).
    Now I am taking IELTS next week and I haven't prepared so far.
    How should I prepare? Especially for the Writing? I need to achieve at least 7.0 in each component and I am taking the Academic version.
    I also haven't got much time this week because I am quite busy with school exams.
    Is it difficult to get 7.0 in IELTS?
    Sup mate, I took Academic IELTS on june and got 8.5, with 7.0 in writing. A couple years ago I scored Grade B in CAE so I was more or less in the same situation as you (applying to Cambridge maybe?)
    I will tell you that IELTS is way more easy than CAE or CPE in terms of prep needed. Just watch videos in youtube so that you memorize the structure or the speaking section which is slightly different than CAE's speaking, and you'll be safe. Listening and reading won't pose problem (do a few past papers because in reading section there is a Yes / No / Not given question, which can be a little bit trickier than the rest, but nothing to really worry about).

Lastly, be sure to read lots and lots of essays, that is the best way to prepare for the writing section that in my opinion is the hardest if you want to score more than 7.5. Take a look to this http://www.ielts-blog.com/category/i...essays-band-8/ it was really helpful to me as it has comments on it. Remember there are two structures for the essays, depending on how the formulate the topic/question: you can either start by stating your opinion regarding the topic that has been proposed, or just introduce the topic without showing what your position is, leaving it for the final paragraph. This will change the way you introduce your arguments in favor/against too.

I don't know if you have improved your english since you took the CAE, but anyway I'm sure you'll do fine, just be confident and relaxed the day before the test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feracero)
    Sup mate, I took Academic IELTS on june and got 8.5, with 7.0 in writing. A couple years ago I scored Grade B in CAE so I was more or less in the same situation as you (applying to Cambridge maybe?)
    I will tell you that IELTS is way more easy than CAE or CPE in terms of prep needed. Just watch videos in youtube so that you memorize the structure or the speaking section which is slightly different than CAE's speaking, and you'll be safe. Listening and reading won't pose problem (do a few past papers because in reading section there is a Yes / No / Not given question, which can be a little bit trickier than the rest, but nothing to really worry about).

Lastly, be sure to read lots and lots of essays, that is the best way to prepare for the writing section that in my opinion is the hardest if you want to score more than 7.5. Take a look to this http://www.ielts-blog.com/category/i...essays-band-8/ it was really helpful to me as it has comments on it. Remember there are two structures for the essays, depending on how the formulate the topic/question: you can either start by stating your opinion regarding the topic that has been proposed, or just introduce the topic without showing what your position is, leaving it for the final paragraph. This will change the way you introduce your arguments in favor/against too.

I don't know if you have improved your english since you took the CAE, but anyway I'm sure you'll do fine, just be confident and relaxed the day before the test.

I already watched the Speaking videos and I think it is even easier than the CAE speaking because you do not need to interact with another candidate
    Thank you for all the advice I will start real preparation on Wednesday
    No I am not applying to Cambridge but I am applying to Oxford (PPE ) Are you applying to Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scblx)
    I already watched the Speaking videos and I think it is even easier than the CAE speaking because you do not need to interact with another candidate
    Thank you for all the advice I will start real preparation on Wednesday
    No I am not applying to Cambridge but I am applying to Oxford (PPE ) Are you applying to Cambridge?
    Thats exactly my opinion, it is much easier to talk by yourself. Yes I have applied to Cambridge for Engineering, and received an interview just yesterday

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am also taking IELTS in december for my application for university in scotland. I'm from germany.
    I don't really have difficulties in reading and listening and with some extra material I can also practise writing quite well (at least I hope so..) but I am not very confident about the speaking part. How did you prepare for the speaking part? Did you prepare for it anyway?
    I'm so nervous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maddi-p)
    Hey, I am also taking IELTS in december for my application for university in scotland. I'm from germany.
    I don't really have difficulties in reading and listening and with some extra material I can also practise writing quite well (at least I hope so..) but I am not very confident about the speaking part. How did you prepare for the speaking part? Did you prepare for it anyway?
    I'm so nervous
    Mmm actually the speaking part is the one I didn't prepare at all, basically because my spoken english is quite good (I have american cousins and friends)
    Anyway, I recommend you to actually listen in order to enhance your spoken fluently, basically because you'll hear how people who speak english modulate their voice and stuff... so for example change the language in your tv to english if possible, or try to watch your favorite tv series in english. Also, I have seen prospective exam takers actually arrange mock speaking parts through Skype, go and check http://www.ielts-blog.com because lots of people do that there.
    Hope to have helped

ReputationRep:
    Write a lot on TSR. I had 7.5 (8;8.5;6.5;6.5) two years ago, now I have 8.5 (8.5;8.5;8;8).

ReputationRep:
    I ended up getting 8.0 and I am kind of disappointed that I was so nervous at speaking and therefore messed this up.
    I had 9.0 Listening 9.0 Reading 7.5 Writing 7.0 Speaking
    And I also did not much preparation so for anyone finding this thread: it's not that difficult :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I suggest the best thing one can do is make a study plan and stick to it. I would recommend you to take several important steps.Find out whether you need IELTS Academic or General TrainingFind out what band score you need for your visaTake a practice test to find out what your current English level is in terms of the IELTS scaleThen familiarise yourself with the test format, task types and assessment criteria. There are plenty of online resources where you’ll find useful tips. For example,Quora (you can easily find the most viewed writers in the categories connected with IELTS and IELTS preparation)ielts-simon.comhttp://ielts-liz.comhttps://www.ieltsidpindia.com/information/ielts-preparationhttp://ielts-mentor.com (a lot of good reading passages)IELTS Speaking Assistant | Facebook (IELTS vocabulary and several articles dedicated to writing; BTW written by me)5. Start doing IELTS practice tests. If you have plenty of time (at least 2 months), I would recommend you to start with the aspect you are weak at. Thus, you’ll have more time to improve your skills. First, do only listening for 2 or 3 weeks, then writing. After that practise IELTS reading for several more weeks. The thing is that your skills develop faster when you do the same activity for a long time. When the exam date is nigh, start doing full tests.LISTENING

ReputationRep:
    There's loads of different ways to prepare, there is this useful website as well which has free resources, and also provides a mock exam which will be fully graded via the marking criteria of the official IELTS test. I highly recommend this for anyone who will sit the IELTS. http://geniustuition.uk/IELTS.html

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.