The Student Room Group

Request for reconsideration rejection

I was 0.2 points from the grade that is best for my career path. I don't know if I should attend graduation or keep fighting for a reconsideration as mine was just rejected because I didn't take an NEC (although I was advised not to since it would make the end of the year very intensive).

Story:
- No family/ close friends on the course due to gap year and social anxiety/ ASD.
- Been harassed by a flatmate and his gf all year (minor physically, more messing with my stuff and getting into verbal altercations with me), this is known by the University but nothing is being done for now. It's been affecting my performance since I was abused in childhood and it triggers memories and flashbacks. Been attending therapy for the final year.
- Poorly graded on a module but the grading was slightly innacurate according to the GBA.
- Found out Grandad has dementia the night before an exam, and my sister was hospitalised too. It's been scary.

I understand nobody might know since every experience is different. It's just a massive hit to my self-esteem and future prospects, although I have an interview soon for a good level job but I am scared this grade will affect my ability to take part in research roles or a Phd without needing a Masters degree.

If anyone read this and has advice thank you so much. Alternatively feel free to share any experiences you have had!
Reply 1
It's painful to miss a higher classification by such a small margin but at some universities, that is the rule.

I was 0.2 points from the grade that is best for my career path.
I have an interview soon for a good level job but I am scared this grade will affect my ability to take part in research roles or a Phd without needing a Masters degree.

Reading between the lines here, it sounds like you just missed a 1st?

I don't know if I should attend graduation or keep fighting for a reconsideration as mine was just rejected because I didn't take an NEC (although I was advised not to since it would make the end of the year very intensive).

What is an NEC? Have you officially appealed against your final classification and been unsuccessful?

Did you apply for extentuating circumstances on certain modules throughout the academic year and recieve adjustments, such as the chance to submit late without penalty?
Reply 2
Okay so it turns out if you have extenuating reasons, you can actually still go into certain courses. I am going into a Masters that requires a 2:1 but due to placement experience and explaining my circumstances in the application, they were willing to make an unconditional offer!

Just wanted to update so people who see this can have some more faith in themselves if they are in a similar situation :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest