The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Does poor grades for a prior masters impact my chances for MPhil at cambridge?

Hello,
I am keen on pursuing an MPhil in Development Studies. I completed my undergraduate degree at LSE this year, where I achieved an overall pass. However, I faced challenges with my mental health during that time, which affected my academic performance. I submitted exceptional circumstances to explain my situation, but LSE's policy on exceptional circumstances is quite stringent. I'm concerned that this might have a negative impact on my MPhil application.
On a positive note, during my undergraduate studies at a different university, I performed exceptionally well and received a Distinction. Despite the lower tier of the university, I believe this demonstrates my academic abilities and dedication to the subject. However, I am uncertain if this will be taken into consideration when evaluating my MPhil application.
I am hopeful that my strong performance in my undergraduate studies and my genuine interest in Development Studies will outweigh any potential concerns regarding my overall pass at LSE. I am determined to pursue this opportunity and look forward to showcasing my passion and commitment to the program.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,
I am keen on pursuing an MPhil in Development Studies. I completed my undergraduate degree at LSE this year, where I achieved an overall pass. However, I faced challenges with my mental health during that time, which affected my academic performance. I submitted exceptional circumstances to explain my situation, but LSE's policy on exceptional circumstances is quite stringent. I'm concerned that this might have a negative impact on my MPhil application.
On a positive note, during my undergraduate studies at a different university, I performed exceptionally well and received a Distinction. Despite the lower tier of the university, I believe this demonstrates my academic abilities and dedication to the subject. However, I am uncertain if this will be taken into consideration when evaluating my MPhil application.
I am hopeful that my strong performance in my undergraduate studies and my genuine interest in Development Studies will outweigh any potential concerns regarding my overall pass at LSE. I am determined to pursue this opportunity and look forward to showcasing my passion and commitment to the program.

Passion and commitment are just icing, the cake is do you have the academic ability? Is your MH improved enough to do another academically rigorous course, and can you evidence that? I suspect you aren't in a strong position if you are currently on an undergrad at LSE, but there's no harm in trying.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Distinction at undergrad? That's not usually how undergrads are classified in the UK. Similarly, you will struggle without a 2i, and really they'd like a first.

It's always worth a punt but from what you've said the odds are not really in your favour.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

Hi,
Honestly I think you should reach out to the university and ask them what their policy on that would be?

(I'm assuming there was a mistake in the first paragraph and you mean that you are completing a postgraduate degree at LSE and not an undergrad) If you already have a masters/are on a masters course and have grades at undergrad that meet the criteria then definitely check with them as this is probably not a common situation for an applicant to be in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending