The Student Room Group

Please help me

I was going to do A levels but, my parents keep damaging my mental health by saying things like "You don't have the capability to do them" (direct quote from yesterday) and a lack of finance (I was home educated for GCSEs due to mental health reasons and was going to be home educated for A levels). I have no skill or talent but, I still want an education, and yes, I've tried many different ways to provide myself with an education but, I can never do anything right. The only skill I am able to gain at the moment is coding, however, I have no energy to work on it due to my mental health. Can anyone please give me some advice? I can't go anywhere to escape my problems and facing them has only made them worse.
First of all, you definitely do have the capability to do A levels, don’t let anyone knock your confidence ! Second of all, if you haven’t already applied to any colleges or sixth forms I would either email them and explain your situation or call them on results day to explain and they may be able to get you a spot. I would recommend looking at your gcse results and choosing subjects you enjoy and think you will continue to enjoy for A levels (for you computing or IT may be a good option). Also, many colleges/sixth forms have things in place for students struggling with their mental health. For example, my sixth form has quiet rooms for students who don’t always want to be in lessons and many colleges offer free counselling which may be something you’d want to look into.

Wishing you the best for your A levels. I believe in you !!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
First of all, you definitely do have the capability to do A levels, don’t let anyone knock your confidence ! Second of all, if you haven’t already applied to any colleges or sixth forms I would either email them and explain your situation or call them on results day to explain and they may be able to get you a spot. I would recommend looking at your gcse results and choosing subjects you enjoy and think you will continue to enjoy for A levels (for you computing or IT may be a good option). Also, many colleges/sixth forms have things in place for students struggling with their mental health. For example, my sixth form has quiet rooms for students who don’t always want to be in lessons and many colleges offer free counselling which may be something you’d want to look into.

Wishing you the best for your A levels. I believe in you !!

I wish I could go to college or a school for sixth form but, I can't. Due to my mental health, I have developed agoraphobia. I've considered doing a degree with the Open University in data science so that I can work remote. Thanks for your kind words, I haven't heard anything encouraging for a long while, you brought me to tears almost :smile:
just like the other person said you are definitely capable if you put your mind to it! (as cliche as that sounds) i think you just need some encouragement, you deserve to have someone in believe in you, even if that person is yourself :smile: i understand it must be hard with what you're going through, but if you try and push yourself i know you can probably be someone you're very proud of despite all your struggles, the fact that you haven't given up on your education already says a lot, i don't have very useful adivce sorry but i hope this was somewhat meaningful and i wish you the best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest