The Student Room Group

Adult GCSE Maths providers experienced with students with Dyscalculia and ADHD?

I’m trying to find somewhere to retake my GCSE maths as an adult, but I have Dyscalculia and ADHD and have already retaken my GCSE Maths at least 4 times post-secondary to no avail. My highest GCSE Maths grade achieved is a D. Personally I know 1:1 tutoring would probably be best for me at this point but for the most part this is really out of the question cost wise, so I’m trying to find somewhere that is particularly renowned for successfully working with students with additional needs such as Dyscalculia, ADHD etc. I don’t mind if it’s in person or online.
Why are you taking your Maths GCSE again. How old are you. Do you class as a mature student. Are you registered with Dyscalculia. Do the universities you intend applying to know you have this as they class tis as an extenuating circumstance. Give them a ring and discuss it. @Muttley79 @PQ @Admit-One @McGinger Do any of you have experience with this as it is a medical condition which can impact on Maths ability.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
Why are you taking your Maths GCSE again. How old are you. Do you class as a mature student. Are you registered with Dyscalculia. Do the universities you intend applying to know you have this as they class tis as an extenuating circumstance. Give them a ring and discuss it. @Muttley79 @PQ @Admit-One @McGinger Do any of you have experience with this as it is a medical condition which can impact on Maths ability.

I have worked with dyscalculic students and manged to support them to achieve a grade C/4.

I used concrete equipment like number lines, using physical objects etc and went back to basics.
Reply 4
Original post by RiverEli
I’m trying to find somewhere to retake my GCSE maths as an adult, but I have Dyscalculia and ADHD and have already retaken my GCSE Maths at least 4 times post-secondary to no avail. My highest GCSE Maths grade achieved is a D. Personally I know 1:1 tutoring would probably be best for me at this point but for the most part this is really out of the question cost wise, so I’m trying to find somewhere that is particularly renowned for successfully working with students with additional needs such as Dyscalculia, ADHD etc. I don’t mind if it’s in person or online.

Have you spoken to universities as to whether you can bypass this requirement?

With no Maths level2 qualification you are entitled to this: https://www.gov.uk/improve-english-maths-it-skills
Yes, I was going to say it might be worth speaking to unis directly about your circumstances. In theory they might be willing to waive the requirement and then provide you relevant support when you are there. Very case-by-case though.

Edit: I assumed the OP required Maths for a uni application, but as below, that may not be the case.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 6
Is the OP intending to apply for Uni?
Doesnt appear to be stated in their post?

If they are, this depends on 'evidence of skills to successfully complete the course' - ie. how essential Maths skills are for that course/subject, and that is a very individual decision for each Uni.
Reply 7
I’m a 2nd year Psychology undergrad going into my final year. Although maths was listed as a course requirement my university waived that as I had other previous qualifications and experience to make up for it. However I know most employers still value having basics like English and Maths and I don’t want this to be a hinderance after graduation even with a degree. In terms of my course itself it has statistical elements relevant to Psychology. So really my two main reasons for wanting to achieve my GCSE Maths are that I feel that most employers still value having these initial qualifications like core GCSEs particularly in Maths etc. and I have also contemplated doing a PGCE and going into teaching after my undergrad but I’ve yet to find any that don’t require the basics like GCSEs in English, Maths and in some cases Science at grade C or above. But it’s also a personal goal, I passed my other GCSEs, and got into college and university but I still just want to be able to say I’ve passed it for my own content.
Original post by RiverEli
I’m a 2nd year Psychology undergrad going into my final year. Although maths was listed as a course requirement my university waived that as I had other previous qualifications and experience to make up for it. However I know most employers still value having basics like English and Maths and I don’t want this to be a hinderance after graduation even with a degree. In terms of my course itself it has statistical elements relevant to Psychology. So really my two main reasons for wanting to achieve my GCSE Maths are that I feel that most employers still value having these initial qualifications like core GCSEs particularly in Maths etc. and I have also contemplated doing a PGCE and going into teaching after my undergrad but I’ve yet to find any that don’t require the basics like GCSEs in English, Maths and in some cases Science at grade C or above. But it’s also a personal goal, I passed my other GCSEs, and got into college and university but I still just want to be able to say I’ve passed it for my own content.

In the circumstances maybe that boby I gave in the link might help you.
Reply 9
Original post by swanseajack1
In the circumstances maybe that boby I gave in the link might help you.

Thank you I’ll check that out!

Quick Reply

Latest