The Student Room Group

Adhd and uni

hello there

I've recently taken fourth year out of my radiography course due to possible ADHD (waiting for diagnosis) I understand that this could take a while.

I had one year to go, although I was struggling like hell and in a bad way mentally, lots of new emotions for me, up and down but mostly down... I dropped out of year 4.

i feel guilty and ashamed of myself and I'm finding it very difficult to get the courage to go back.

I don't even know if I want to go back, after being in that environment, full of bullies and people who are institutionalised, I am not, I'm a mature student and done nothing but butt heads with these people.

should I wait for my diagnosis of ADHD and also can my uni play a part in helping me get this??
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
hello there

I've recently taken fourth year out of my radiography course due to possible ADHD (waiting for diagnosis) I understand that this could take a while.

I had one year to go, although I was struggling like hell and in a bad way mentally, lots of new emotions for me, up and down but mostly down... I dropped out of year 4.

i feel guilty and ashamed of myself and I'm finding it very difficult to get the courage to go back.

I don't even know if I want to go back, after being in that environment, full of bullies and people who are institutionalised, I am not, I'm a mature student and done nothing but butt heads with these people.

should I wait for my diagnosis of ADHD and also can my uni play a part in helping me get this??

Hey. I have a friend who has ADHD, he was diagnosed when in Senior School and boy, did he go through hell! So I can sympathise with what you are going through a feeling (to a degree).

If you are diagnosed with ADHD, you may get medication to help with symptoms. But all that aside. I'd say that you need to do what you think will make you happy.

Keep pushing with your GP for your assessment (if you are still at that stage).

Questions I put to you to consider;
Why was you studying Radiography? To battle through 3 years, to then walk away seems a shame. If you desire to be something, then try and have the courage to put yourself through that final year. You will be amongst different people. I get that it's tough, but you owe it to yourself. It sounds like you're so close, don't give up now.

What does it matter if you are diagnosed? don't let ADHD define you.

Universities do not provide screening for ADHD and do not provide any support for ADHD unless you have an adult ADHD NHS diagnosis. You will need to wait for the outcome of your GP medical assessment.

Wishing you all the best for the future.
Reply 2
hello there

As someone who was recently diagnosed with ADHD during my course, I don't recommend being actively at uni doing work whilst waiting for a diagnosis. A course becomes much easier once appropriate adjustments can be put in place. It's also worth noting that after diagnosis, identifying the correct treatment (if that's something you want) can take a while. I've tried a couple different medicines at different doses and it took a couple months to find one that worked for me. This is not something that meshed well with having to study. My first appointment was in January and it's taken till mid may to get this right.

This doesn't even cover the DSA process as I haven't yet dealt with them over my ADHD, though I went through their process for mental health issues and an SpLD 2yrs ago and it wasn't exactly fast.

You don't have feel guilty about needing to take time out to deal with all of this. You can also use the time to consider whether going back to that same environment is something you want or whether remote learning or a different uni would be right for you. <3
Reply 3
Original post by 4CS
Hey. I have a friend who has ADHD, he was diagnosed when in Senior School and boy, did he go through hell! So I can sympathise with what you are going through a feeling (to a degree).

If you are diagnosed with ADHD, you may get medication to help with symptoms. But all that aside. I'd say that you need to do what you think will make you happy.

Keep pushing with your GP for your assessment (if you are still at that stage).

Questions I put to you to consider;
Why was you studying Radiography? To battle through 3 years, to then walk away seems a shame. If you desire to be something, then try and have the courage to put yourself through that final year. You will be amongst different people. I get that it's tough, but you owe it to yourself. It sounds like you're so close, don't give up now.

What does it matter if you are diagnosed? don't let ADHD define you.

Universities do not provide screening for ADHD and do not provide any support for ADHD unless you have an adult ADHD NHS diagnosis. You will need to wait for the outcome of your GP medical assessment.

Wishing you all the best for the future.

Thank you for some food for thought and your kind words... means a lot!
😊😊
Reply 4
As someone who was recently diagnosed with ADHD during my course, I don't recommend being actively at uni doing work whilst waiting for a diagnosis. A course becomes much easier once appropriate adjustments can be put in place. It's also worth noting that after diagnosis, identifying the correct treatment (if that's something you want) can take a while. I've tried a couple different medicines at different doses and it took a couple months to find one that worked for me. This is not something that meshed well with having to study. My first appointment was in January and it's taken till mid may to get this right.

This doesn't even cover the DSA process as I haven't yet dealt with them over my ADHD, though I went through their process for mental health issues and an SpLD 2yrs ago and it wasn't exactly fast.

You don't have feel guilty about needing to take time out to deal with all of this. You can also use the time to consider whether going back to that same environment is something you want or whether remote learning or a different uni would be right for you. <3

thanks very much for this.. lots to think about! x
hello there

Hi there :smile:

I'm sorry to hear you have been having a tough time recently. University can feel overwhelming at times and taking some time off can be a normal and healthy response. You should not feel guilty or ashamed at all, you are not at fault for your emotions and mental health.

Have you tried speaking to someone at your university, perhaps wellbeing support or an academic adviser? You might be able to find information about support at your uni through Student Space, if that's useful: https://studentspace.org.uk/find-support. The site also has some information on how to support yourself whilst at university.

I hope this helps!
- Dan
Hi,

Sorry to hear you are feeling this way.

Like many phases in our life, university can have ups and downs. There is no need to feel ashamed of yourself just because you feel overwhelmed and dropped out as a result. Whether to resume your journey at university is a personal choice, but you can always discuss the matter with your family and friends.

Starting again and going back to the same environment that caused you stress take courage, but once you have taken a leap of faith, things may start getting easier -- If you decide to continue your study, make sure you are engaged in enjoyable things outside of your degree this time. Try joining in societies and clubs within the student union, talking to student support team and attending mental health workshops organized by university. All of these methods will help enhance your experience at the university and make you university life less stressful.

Hope you find this helpful. If you have any more questions, feel free to drop me a message.

Best of luck,
Sophia
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest