The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying for Cambridge, even with my GCSE's?

I have been told by my school that applying for Oxbridge would be "a waste of space on my application" as I don't have good enough GCSE's, and that I "wouldn't even get to interview".

For context my GCSE results are as follows: 2a*,1a, 2b and 5c

Should I just accept this and move on? Or is there a chance, if I was to get top A-level grades that my GCSE's could be overlooked? I have heard that Oxford are much more bothered by GCSE's than Cambridge?

So if I was to apply for English Lit at Cambridge would my application even get a look in? I currently take: English Lit, History, History of Art and EPQ.
What did you get in English language and maths?
Reply 2
Original post by thismyusername
What did you get in English language and maths?
8 in English Lang, 7 in Lit and a 4 in Maths (I have dyscalculia)
I’m not particularly sure about the course you wanna apply for but ideally Oxbridge, if they have a test for the course ur applying, give high weightage to that then ur recommendation letters followed by ur predicted a level, personal statement then your AS and gcse grades.

Point being, if you really think you’re capable then you just might have a chance. Besides, u still have 4 more unis so just play your cards… that way you won’t regret it later

Although the Cs may impact your application negatively cuz I know people with perfect grades, test scores, and interviews who didn’t get in

(P.s. all my knowledge is from international applicant POV)
If you have a diagnosed dyscalculia they would probably accept that. Honestly GCSEs don't matter just do well in your end of year 12 exams for predicted grades and you would be alright.
I think it would be worth a try especially if you have a medical reason !!
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have been told by my school that applying for Oxbridge would be "a waste of space on my application" as I don't have good enough GCSE's, and that I "wouldn't even get to interview".
For context my GCSE results are as follows: 2a*,1a, 2b and 5c
Should I just accept this and move on? Or is there a chance, if I was to get top A-level grades that my GCSE's could be overlooked? I have heard that Oxford are much more bothered by GCSE's than Cambridge?
So if I was to apply for English Lit at Cambridge would my application even get a look in? I currently take: English Lit, History, History of Art and EPQ.
You should always try! You never know the outcome. I know you can do it - we'll be here on the sidelines supporting you!!
Reply 7
I just wanted to thank you all so much!

I think from what you have said I will just have a go anyway - it will probably really help me to work for it even if I don’t get an interview, thank you for all the replies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending