The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Degree

I have suffered from crippling depression and anxiety which has affected my university degree. I started off the semester really well, and I was getting 2.1’s and firsts. As the semester progressed my mental health plummeted and I tried to get as much helps as I could by seeing a counsellor, and keeping in touch with my tutors about how I was. I ended up not submitting some assignments because my confidence plummeted and I got severely depressed. It meant I had to retake so many modules and therefore being capped at a pass (40). This means I’ll get a third overall. I’m not sure how to progress because I really want to progress onto a masters but I believe that none would accept me. I feel awful because my mental health was largely the result of this, which makes my mental health so much worse because of the outcome that it’s caused. It feels like I’m just going down a rabbit hole which I’m struggling to get out of. Has anyone been able to progress with the same degree outcome as me?
Original post by Eliiiiiiise
I have suffered from crippling depression and anxiety which has affected my university degree. I started off the semester really well, and I was getting 2.1’s and firsts. As the semester progressed my mental health plummeted and I tried to get as much helps as I could by seeing a counsellor, and keeping in touch with my tutors about how I was.

I ended up not submitting some assignments because my confidence plummeted and I got severely depressed. It meant I had to retake so many modules and therefore being capped at a pass (40). This means I’ll get a third overall.

I’m not sure how to progress because I really want to progress onto a masters but I believe that none would accept me. I feel awful because my mental health was largely the result of this, which makes my mental health so much worse because of the outcome that it’s caused. It feels like I’m just going down a rabbit hole which I’m struggling to get out of. Has anyone been able to progress with the same degree outcome as me?

Hello, first of all thank you for sharing this - that takes courage.

I have one question before all others - how far through your degree are you? I'm guessing either second or third year, but which one makes a big difference to my advice.

Truthfully, I think there is no point in focusing on the next step academically while your MH is where it is. Better to pause on the studies, improve your MH and return to the academics when you are ready. It's not a race, and the beauty of Higher Education is you can return to it and any point and resume.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Original post by Eliiiiiiise
I have suffered from crippling depression and anxiety which has affected my university degree. I started off the semester really well, and I was getting 2.1’s and firsts. As the semester progressed my mental health plummeted and I tried to get as much helps as I could by seeing a counsellor, and keeping in touch with my tutors about how I was. I ended up not submitting some assignments because my confidence plummeted and I got severely depressed. It meant I had to retake so many modules and therefore being capped at a pass (40). This means I’ll get a third overall. I’m not sure how to progress because I really want to progress onto a masters but I believe that none would accept me. I feel awful because my mental health was largely the result of this, which makes my mental health so much worse because of the outcome that it’s caused. It feels like I’m just going down a rabbit hole which I’m struggling to get out of. Has anyone been able to progress with the same degree outcome as me?

Hi there,

Firstly, I'm really sorry to hear about the issues that you have been experiencing. University can be a really rewarding experience, but it is also really challenging at times for a wide range of reasons. Thanks for sharing your experience, this is really brave.

Have you contacted the student support services at the University of Liverpool. They are trained to provide advice for student with a wide range of issues, and hopefully they should be able to provide you with some expert advise around this area.

Best of luck with whatever you do :smile: I'm sure you will learn lots from this experience, even if it is difficult at the moment. I hope you will be feeling better in yourself soon! :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Reply 3
Why the capped resits? You have a condition that warrants mitigation - have you spoken to Student Service or the School about this?
What university did you attend? I had a similar issue and I managed to resolve it with the help of my uni.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
What university did you attend? I had a similar issue and I managed to resolve it with the help of my uni.

It is in the University of Liverpool forum...
Original post by gjd800
It is in the University of Liverpool forum...

That's not always apparent depending on how you access TSR tbf
Also Merry Results Day to you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending