The Student Room Group

Will studying history and economics give me good job prospects?

I want to study history and economics but i’m unsure due to not knowing what the job prospects are
Original post by Deathologist150
I want to study history and economics but i’m unsure due to not knowing what the job prospects are

Joint degrees when there are jobs that will use both halves of the degree are useful. Joint degrees where there are not jobs that need both halves of the degree are a risk. There's not much in the way of work that requires half a history degree and half an economics degree. So you would be looking at roles that are degree ambivalent - there are still lots of those, so that may not be an issue for you, but take care. It's not an easy way into economist's roles, for example.
Reply 2
Original post by Deathologist150

Provided you get into a good university, you have a very broad set of options open to you. Assuming you're not thinking of postgraduate education, you could go into most finance jobs, the Civil Service, the Diplomatic Service, think tanks, politics, etc.

If you're willing to study further, then Law is always an option.
As good as any other degree really.

The roles that specifically require an economics degree (e.g. in the civil service) normally just state 50% of your degree has to be economics so you have some more options as a result on that side :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending