The Student Room Group

how to make money as someone with mental health issues/ extreme social anxiety

i need to find a way to make about £300 a month, to cover my home education and financially support my single parent mother.

but, i have extreme social anxiety, a barrier that stops me from going outside often, going to a „proper“ education and from branching out and meeting people.

i cant find anything suitable that im comfortable with, ive checked online stuff to do, but most of it is only for giftcards and things, i need to find something to legitimately make real cash.

any ideas on what i can do?
Reply 1
You could do something in agriculture/livestock. Depending on the job you only refer to one or two people and otherwise can keep to yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by Foxehh
You could do something in agriculture/livestock. Depending on the job you only refer to one or two people and otherwise can keep to yourself.

ouu, this sounds pretty good, thankyou for that!!
Reply 3
Original post by misou
i need to find a way to make about £300 a month, to cover my home education and financially support my single parent mother.

but, i have extreme social anxiety, a barrier that stops me from going outside often, going to a „proper“ education and from branching out and meeting people.

i cant find anything suitable that im comfortable with, ive checked online stuff to do, but most of it is only for giftcards and things, i need to find something to legitimately make real cash.

any ideas on what i can do?

It would be really tough, but the best thing for you in the medium to longterm would probably be to find a role where you actually leave the house. The problem with social anxiwty will not get any better but most likely much much worse over time. Think about the future you want, if it is at home with your mother into later life then great, if not then you might need to reevaluate and ask yourself is this sustainable and enough for me.

A voluntary role with a charity like mind or in a charity shop may be an ideal first step, as they are very skilled at supporting people with difficulties like this. This might help you face your fears and push you just the right amount out of your comfort zone.

Of course this will be so hard for you, i dont want you to think i am dismissing you or your difficulties. I just dont want you to limit yourself based on your fears.

If you havent already, you should consider supporting your mother to apply for financial supports or disability allowances, as there is benefits for parents with children with significant difficulties, such as severe social anxiety etc.

You sound very astute clever and empathic, particularly if you are thinking about your mums needs and ways to contribute to the house. Dont forget that these strengths of empathy/care are often the positive flip side to social anxiety (i.e caring a lot about others wants/needs/thoughts vs ourselves). Its why people who are super confident can often be oblivious to others needs or feelings, strengths and weaknesses in both traits.

I know i havent answered your question but i hope some of what i said helps in someway. Really good luck to you and your mum.

Greg
Reply 4
Original post by greg tony
It would be really tough, but the best thing for you in the medium to longterm would probably be to find a role where you actually leave the house. The problem with social anxiwty will not get any better but most likely much much worse over time. Think about the future you want, if it is at home with your mother into later life then great, if not then you might need to reevaluate and ask yourself is this sustainable and enough for me.

A voluntary role with a charity like mind or in a charity shop may be an ideal first step, as they are very skilled at supporting people with difficulties like this. This might help you face your fears and push you just the right amount out of your comfort zone.

Of course this will be so hard for you, i dont want you to think i am dismissing you or your difficulties. I just dont want you to limit yourself based on your fears.

If you havent already, you should consider supporting your mother to apply for financial supports or disability allowances, as there is benefits for parents with children with significant difficulties, such as severe social anxiety etc.

You sound very astute clever and empathic, particularly if you are thinking about your mums needs and ways to contribute to the house. Dont forget that these strengths of empathy/care are often the positive flip side to social anxiety (i.e caring a lot about others wants/needs/thoughts vs ourselves). Its why people who are super confident can often be oblivious to others needs or feelings, strengths and weaknesses in both traits.

I know i havent answered your question but i hope some of what i said helps in someway. Really good luck to you and your mum.

Greg

thankyou so much for this, i really appreciate this, honestly, i will start looking for voulenteer work following your suggestion, i think this could be a good idea to start with! thankyou so much again
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest