The Student Room Group

advice on what i should do?

hey guys. so i’m coming to the end of my gap year and still don’t feel ready for university. i have pretty bad social anxiety that has become more manageable through getting a job, but i still struggle daily.

i don’t even know what i’d study (considered english for ages, but i want a more secure option) and i don’t want to go for the sake of it, but i feel like my life is just at a standstill. i have no friends after falling out of contact at the end of high school, and it’s mostly older people at my job or young teens (i’m almost 19).

i was considering travelling (solo, to increase my independence) but i don’t even know to go about that or where i’d go, and i only have around £2k in savings after buying a car.

i’ve also tried a local therapy but it wasn’t much help, and i’m struggling to get medication (my gp said they’d prefer it to be the last resort). i want to move on with my life but i really have no idea how.

any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
hey guys. so i’m coming to the end of my gap year and still don’t feel ready for university. i have pretty bad social anxiety that has become more manageable through getting a job, but i still struggle daily.

i don’t even know what i’d study (considered english for ages, but i want a more secure option) and i don’t want to go for the sake of it, but i feel like my life is just at a standstill. i have no friends after falling out of contact at the end of high school, and it’s mostly older people at my job or young teens (i’m almost 19).

i was considering travelling (solo, to increase my independence) but i don’t even know to go about that or where i’d go, and i only have around £2k in savings after buying a car.

i’ve also tried a local therapy but it wasn’t much help, and i’m struggling to get medication (my gp said they’d prefer it to be the last resort). i want to move on with my life but i really have no idea how.

any advice?

Hi, I'm sorry you're going through a lot right now.

Have you tried exploring other courses like business, management and others that may peak an interest to you? It doesn't even have to be something related to your previous education and it's ok if it's something that doesn't guarantee a secure career, because there have been people who pursued really great careers, even after switching choices.
Sometimes, it may not be the right time for university (as you can always rejoin later in life) - you can still look at online courses and other classes to get involved; you can even use online courses as a way to see what university courses you may be interested in.

Quick Reply

Latest